Question about curing of LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a new tank with nothign in it. i have some crushed coral in the bottom and all my filter and water and so one but no liveing stuff in the tank yet. and my live rock sould be here about tuesday. so my question is should i have every thing running when curing the live rock or should i turn off the skimmer? i know that i have to have the light off. and the tank i am useing is 46 gal. would 20 gal every 3 days be a good water change?

I would actually suggest doing the water changes if this is "raw" newly harvested rock. This will help preserve the many hitchikers that you purchased this type of rock for in the first place. Only when using "pre-cured" LR would you not want to do the water changes as there will be little die off and all the organics will be needed to help with the cycle. The same is not true of uncured LR.

This article should help some... Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!

Cheers
Steve

but steve even cured rock is shipped with out water and no matter what somethings gonna die !! why imo its always better to get uncured !! also imo if most of these creatures live so long out of water they sure can live thru an ammonia cycle wouldnt ya think ???

scuba_steve said:
but steve even cured rock is shipped with out water and no matter what somethings gonna die !! why imo its always better to get uncured !!
Agreed on the purchasing of uncured part but with cured, the lack of abundant critters will not have as much organic die off as with uncured. The larger amount of die off will ensue a much larger ammonia spike that most of the hitchikers will not survive. Many are shipped overnight or within two days so the amount of die off from shipping alone is usually minimal unless delayed or affected by extreme temps. All are generally shipped with at least wet newsprint which should keep most alive.

also imo if most of these creatures live so long out of water they sure can live thru an ammonia cycle wouldnt ya think ???
As above, even if in a moist environment, it is still much less a time (days) in that medium as apposed to weeks with such high levels of ammonia. Of the two, there is a much greater chance of them surviving the shipping than the cycle without water changes.

Cheers
Steve

makes sence to me but have seen and read so many curing theirs in like 5 gallon buckets which would have to be the worst imo !!

i have always add small amounts at a time and just added to the tank so never really had to worry about it !!

scuba_steve said:
have seen and read so many curing theirs in like 5 gallon buckets which would have to be the worst imo !!
Agreed it is not the best method if trying to preserve life on the rock but if adding additional rock to an established tank, any great amount can have serious consequences and should be cured seperately. Small pieces would still have an affect on the water quality although short lived. Their addition would moreso depend on the sensitivity of the animals already in the tank IMO, clams, anemones, SPS and such as well as the efficiencey of the filtration.

Cheers
Steve

ok hate to drag this on but say ya go to your lfs and see a rock ya like for one reason or another mabe like 5lbs your saying you would still cure it in a sererate container before adding it to your system ?? just curious

That would actually depend on a few things. How much life is on it, the length of time the rock has been at the LFS and the unmistakable smell of decaying matter. If you can get LR that is completely cured, it should not be a concern (tank size depending). I have many times purchased LR from the local places that appeared completely cured and have never had an issue. Basically it comes down to knowing what to look for. If unsure, then play it safe and recure it seperately...

Cheers
Steve

ok so i just order 36 lbs of live rock from live aquaria.com and i called them to ask then some questions. wow they are vary helpful and vary nice. there shipping right now on live rock is 1.19 per lbs for fedex oevr night. and i guess they put heat pack in all the boxs (I live in MN and we are going to get some snow in the next few days) i just hope the rock i get looks vary nice. if it dose i will be ordering from them a lot more. just tought you all might want to know.

Let us know how it goes when you get the rock WarOrks15. If possible post some pics as you unveil it and once in the tank. It's always great to see new additions...

Cheers
Steve

i will but the only thing is i do not know how i would go about doing that i do not have a Digital Camera. i might just have to go out and get one. or get my friend to take some pic and then post them. but i will have too see when it comes.

Back
Top Bottom