question about Cycle my tank...HELP PLS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheepy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, My name is Sheepy, sorry guys i'm a noobie in saltwater, and my tank is 40 Gallon. Today i went to local grocery store and got 2 live shrimp and want to cycle my tank, once i put the 2 shrimp in, its dead....my question are

1) does the cycle still works if the shrimp are dead? is it just leave it there for 50 days and take it out after 50 days?

2) is it ok if i put live rock now?

Thank you very much

Well... you've actually covered two lessons here!

The first is that the shrimp everyone talks about cycling with is dead to start with! You're just looking for something from the ocean that will basically rot in your tank to make ammonia. That ammonia source will then start your cycle. Sooo... the fact that your shrimp is now dead is not really a problem. Except for the shrimp.

If you don't have test kits for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, go out and buy them now. As the shrimp rots, you'll see the ammonia levels rise. When you get 2 or 3 ppm ammonia, then you can safely take the shrimp out. (Or what's left of it.) As you ammonia levels rise, you'll start seeing nitrites show up. When the nitrites peak and start declining, your ammonia levels should pretty much be gone. At this point, you should start to see nitrates going up. Eventually, after 4-6 weeks, you'll have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some amount of nitrates. Your tank is now officially cycled!

Nothing will make the nitrates go away execpt for water changes with aged, mixed saltwater. Once you do several water changes to get your nitrates down between 5-10ppm, then your tank is ready for inhabitants.

The second lesson you've learned is how NOT to acclimate your livestock when you add them to your tank! You need to slowly acclimate them over an hour or so, depending on how different (salinity, pH) the water is that they're coming from versus your tank water. You can find an article on acclimation, as well as other good "just starting" articles here...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2

Regarding adding live rock, what kind of filtration do you have on the tank right now? When creating the cycle, you're creating a population of bacteria that will convert ammonia/nitrites into nitrates. That bacterial needs a place to live, which normally would be either in a wet/dry filter, a biowheel, or in live rock and sand. If you have none of that, you'll want to add the live rock now since the bacteria needs a place to call home.

Kurt hit both nails on the head. I'm glad you are here and you will soon be loving SW fishkeeping.

How big of tank? (You might want to go to your profile area and fill in the "My Info" section with your tank's vital statistics!)

I would add live rock now, at about 1.5 - 2.0 lbs per gallon. I don't have any experience with that filter, but depending on your tank size you probably are going to be better off depending on your live rock to house the bacteria versus the "BioGrid" in that filter.

Regarding the stinky and cloudy tank... that's normal. I remember the smell when I first started cycling the tank. We went through several of those Glade StickUps that first month! Your tank will clear once the bacteria gain a foothold.

My tank is 33 Gallon....I put live rock into my tank about 2 week ago, and now my ammonia level is 0..... and 2 days ago i put 3 Damsel fish in there.... and I'm happy already coz it's still alive... and finally there's something in my tank... but i heard that they are aggressive... what if i want to get clown fish? is it ok if they live together??? and i heard that is not a good time to put coral for few weeks tank... then when can i put coral? and another question.... i think my tank needs more water... and a little bit too salty... so can i just add some tap water into my tank? without doing anything? is it safe? and when should i change my water?

Thank you

Sheepy

Attachments

• 07-05-05_12-17_120.jpg
    07-05-05_12-17_120.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 21
Before you can put any coral you have to have the appropiate lighting. What type lighting and how many watts per gallon do you have. Also what type corals are you thinking about? Yes it would be good to let your tank stabilize before you add corals.

and a little bit too salty... so can i just add some tap water into my tank? without doing anything? is it safe? and when should i change my water?

Whats the SG?For that matter how does the tank test as a whole?Nitrates?Nitrites?ph?

Damsels can be rough..esp when added first.They kinda think they own the joint,well,cuz they kinda do....many have started with em just to take em out later.Often this means removing the rock eck because they are very hard to catch.Good luck.Perhaps you will be fine.

Tap water can be added (declorinated) to lower elevated SG due to evaporation...but many of the users here avoid tap water in a large way.To many nutreints in tap water that feed the algeas we all fight/fear.Try to get some RO/DI water from a LFS.

You need to slow down.. New tank on the 26 and fish in it by the 5th? Way too fast.. thats what 8 days!!!!
You need to starte reading up on keeping a SW tank and slow down and do Not add any new critters to the tank till you know how to take care of it.
have you tested for ammonia ? Nitrites? Water too salty, what it that? do you mean the salinity is too high? If so what are the numbers?
Corals are more then a few weeks off.. your tank needs to mature some and you need to learn about keeping a tank stable..

Keep asking question and read, read and then read some more.. Were here to help.
Oh did I say SLOW down..

Oh did I say SLOW down..
Agreed.

Take your time and enjoy the journey.Go to fast and you won't.
Aquariums,esp SW,require great patience.Its not to be done quickly if its to be done well.

Back
Top Bottom