Question about cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piperky1

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long for ammonia to start being detectable? My 29 gallon system will be set up a week tomorrow. I have 45 lbs of live rock in it. Running a protein skimmer as well. Ammonia is still at zero. At this time, I'm choosing not to add the raw shrimp. I've read/researched both sides of the raw shrimp issue and my lfs store was against it so I decided not to do it. Should I have had a detectable amount by now? Would I have if I'd added the shrimp? I was just wondering when the ammonia should be detectable. I could not find the answer to this in my research. Thanks for your help. Getting addicted to this forum. Haha

Without shrimp or a fish (some people use Damsels), you will not get ammonia. There's nothing in there to create it. Shrimp starts to decay and fish produce waste. That gets the cycle going. I don't think the skimmer is going to do much at this point either...nothing to pull out of the water yet.

What about the die off on the rock. Will it not create a large enough cycle?

It would depend on the rock. Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. Why was your LFS against adding an ammonia source? There is no downside to it.

No, there isn't enough. A cycle will last around a month, in estimate. Even when dosing ammonia to cycle you need to continue to provide more Ammonia as it gets consumed to make sure it keeps going. This is why I like the shrimp method best as it is a constant. Also demonstrates why you should remove a dead fish ASAP.

Not sure why the lfs was against but he said if I add to add only a SMALL piece. So ill get a shrimp to but in. Do I leave it in there until the ammonia reads zero or until the ammonia spikes?

You could toss in a whole shrimp. It won't hurt anything. You could take it out after the ammonia spikes if you like. Either way will be fine.

With 45 lbs of LR in a 29, you may get only a small cycle that's barely detectable if your lucky. Keep your skimmer off during the cycle as it removes the stuff before it becomes ammonia which delays the cycle.
+1 on the ammo is source

Would you add more live rock? I also have 20 lbs of live sand. I was hoping to go with the live rock, cuc, and skimmer with no mechanical filter.

"cuc" is nothing more than creative marketing. You don't need a single crab, snail, or starfish to keep a thriving system. Don't count that into your nutrient export. Export means leaving the tank, not getting eaten. Your mechanical filter is a protein skimmer.

You are setup perfectly. I would change nothing.

But I would do a proper cycle. Add a full shrimp for that much rock and let it go. Keep the skimmer off until the cycle is complete. If after a week you still have no ammonia (after adding the shrimp ) then you should be fine. Then pull what's left out, turn the skimmer on and add you first fish. A small cuc at that time as well. Slowly add your fish (a week between additions) and a bit more cuc.
Personally I would avoid Astraea snails as my hermit ate then all within a couple weeks. Cerinth, nassarius and turban snails work great for me.

+1. What you have is great for that size tank. You just have to get something to kick start the cycle. It will probably take 4-6 weeks. Might be less, probably won't be more, but its done when its done.

Moving forward, don't be afraid to ask questions here. The LFS's advice is questionable, so I'd be careful with what they say.

Thanks everyone. I'll add a shrimp tomorrow after i get to the store.

Back
Top Bottom