Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
question about cycling

I am reading a book called The aquarium reef: Science, Art, and Technology it is a great book.

The book says to cycle my live rock with the lights off, and to keep the protein skimmer off as well. I will have LR that is not cured.

I have heard others say to cycle with the lights on?

What is the best method?

Sundiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It is a good book and I read that too in a few publications. I posed the same question when I began my cycle and I think as I did you'll receive arguments representing both sides. I turned mine on as if there were fish in the tank for most days while others I didn't turn them on at all.

chase33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
You really dont need your lights this can fuel algea growth . However you can turn them on to peek inside the tank....You will still get some algeas as this is a new tank such as diatoms (brown colored on the glass and sand wipes off easy and is dusty in apperance) as for the skimmer I can not really answer that one , as I do not run a skimmer .... Once all my levels of ammnia , nitrItes, dropped to 0 I waited a few days longer retested and did a water change .
Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
As mentioned earlier you really dont have to have them on to cycle your tank. But if you want them on then you can but most likely you`ll deal with more algea issues in the tank from the begining. But it should not be more than your clean up crew can handle once your tank has cycled.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I turned my lights on, but there really is no need to during the cycle unless you want to. The lights play no part on cycle speed.

I did not run my skimmer during my cycle either, but again, I highly doubt doing so would harm your cycle.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I did not run my lights during the cycle because I did not have them

The skimmer I did run and it took crap out of the water, so I see no reason not to run it. I see it as a time to learn the skimmer and adjust it and let it break in so to speak .
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for the info. I will cycle with the lights off, I'm not too sure about the skimmer though.

Sundiego is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com