question about cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sundiego

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am reading a book called The aquarium reef: Science, Art, and Technology it is a great book.

The book says to cycle my live rock with the lights off, and to keep the protein skimmer off as well. I will have LR that is not cured.

I have heard others say to cycle with the lights on?

What is the best method?

Mark

It is a good book and I read that too in a few publications. I posed the same question when I began my cycle and I think as I did you'll receive arguments representing both sides. I turned mine on as if there were fish in the tank for most days while others I didn't turn them on at all.

You really dont need your lights this can fuel algea growth . However you can turn them on to peek inside the tank....You will still get some algeas as this is a new tank such as diatoms (brown colored on the glass and sand wipes off easy and is dusty in apperance) as for the skimmer I can not really answer that one , as I do not run a skimmer .... Once all my levels of ammnia , nitrItes, dropped to 0 I waited a few days longer retested and did a water change .

As mentioned earlier you really dont have to have them on to cycle your tank. But if you want them on then you can but most likely you`ll deal with more algea issues in the tank from the begining. But it should not be more than your clean up crew can handle once your tank has cycled.

I turned my lights on, but there really is no need to during the cycle unless you want to. The lights play no part on cycle speed.

I did not run my skimmer during my cycle either, but again, I highly doubt doing so would harm your cycle.

HTH :)

I did not run my lights during the cycle because I did not have them :)

The skimmer I did run and it took crap out of the water, so I see no reason not to run it. I see it as a time to learn the skimmer and adjust it and let it break in so to speak .

Thanks for the info. I will cycle with the lights off, I'm not too sure about the skimmer though.

Back
Top Bottom