question about cycling and LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I put my uncured LR in right when i set up my tank and let it cycle with it in there? Wont that cure it and help with the cycle? Or no? Sorry it was just a thought.

Yes, you can cycle your new tank with uncured lr. Don't put uncured lr in an established tank tho.

Ya I knew that but i was just curiuos if uncured lr would be ok in a tank that still has to cycle. Would it help it cycle faster or anything? Would it give inaccurate readings?

I cured my live rock right from the start. Whatever died during the shipping of the rock fed ammonia to jump start the cycling process it is a great idea.

You can use uncured LR to start your cycle. It will not cycle any faster or slower with LR. They cycle takes as long as it takes (many factors involved).

LR will not affect the readings of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate which is all you should be testing for during the cycle.

LR is an excellent way to cycle a new tank.

That's what I did. Cured the rock while cycling on initial setup.

Thats what i am going to do then is that all i need to start the cycle or should i still follow the fishless cycle steps?

If you're adding uncured rock then you don't need to add anything as the die off will kick start the cycle. It wouldn't hurt to add a few drops of fish food.

h8z2luze said:
Can I put my uncured LR in right when i set up my tank and let it cycle with it in there? Wont that cure it and help with the cycle? Or no? Sorry it was just a thought.

Sounds like a pretty good thought to me. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom