Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

question about fish locations

We are shopping for our fish list, trying to find out where we can get the best deal. What is the difference in where the fish is from? Here is an example, one fish is $8.99 & the other is $24.99. What is the difference? I have noticed the same in quite a few different fish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=168
Thanks

Old 03-26-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont get the question? Some are more desirable, hense the higher price.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I guess I should say, "What is the difference, other than where they actually come from?" Different colors? If it is colors how do I find out which look better?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Again the question is pretty vague. A lot of factors go into fish pricing. Availability in the area, mortality rate, color, desirability, rarity, etc etc.

A common fish easily bred in captivity will be far less then a rare wild caught fish.

Like an A. Ocellaris vs. Japanese Pigmy Angel. You are looking at $15 vs. $1300.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Marc, I think he means that the same fish is different prices from two different areas. Not a vague question at all. I could never figure out their reasoning. I assume there is slight coloration differences in the fish collected from a different area. Maybe more rare if from that area? Maybe send an email to liveaquaria?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
Marc, I think he means that the same fish is different prices from two different areas. Not a vague question at all. I could never figure out their reasoning. I assume there is slight coloration differences in the fish collected from a different area. Maybe more rare if from that area? Maybe send an email to liveaquaria?
Thanks....that's what I was trying to figure out.

Why spend 25 bucks for a firefish from Coral Sea/Maldives when one from Indo Pacific is 9? doesn't say anything about being different sizes or anything. Just trying to find out what the difference is & why.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:37 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think it has to do with the site that you go to. Do you have a LFS near you that you can go and look at the fish in person? I have not bought fish online so I don't know about the whole shipping and not getting what I asked for bit. I would suggest checking out a LFS near you first. Online you will see a huge swing in prices from one site to the next...they have the right to charge what ever they want and thats pretty much all the difference. Well that and the less expensive fish is probably smaller then the more expensive one of the same type.

HTH
Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ohhhh lol...

I agree with DT, email LA. I would suspect something has to do with how far away and how much it costs LA to get it to thier facility.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

we do....I was just looking at prices online so I will have an idea what they will be around when we go to buy.

thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 02:28 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

IME...LFS prices are very different from online prices....

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com