Question about Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm sort of sad this evening . . . I lost my red & black seastar (Fromia milleporella). I only had him/her three days, but it is still my first loss in the tank, and it sort of hurts, ya know?

Any-hooch -- I have a question about glass. I have the JBJ lighting system. The lighting unit has a piece of glass that protects the bulbs from condensation.

However, my 40 gallon stretch-hex tank has a glass lid on it. I wanted to suspend the light fixture above the tank with the supplied leggs (thus removing the need for the glass on the tank) but the leggs were designed for a rectangular tank, and mine is a hex, so I can't use them.

My question - should I be concerned that my light fixture is shining through two layers of glass before the light gets to the water? It is a total of 130 watts (3.25 watts per gallon). should I be concerned.

I have a TON of other questions, but I'm gonna space them out. I can't believe losing one starfish could have affected me like this, but I am on a mission to not lose anything else. So, I'm starting at the top (the lights) and working my way down (to the sand).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd

As for the star...I am sorry for your loss. How did you acclimate it? All mobile inverts, but stars, in particular are very sensitive to changes in temp and SG. I would not add a seastar to my tank that did not go through a 4-6 hr drip acclimation and some stars, linckias, would require even longer slower drip acclimations.

I would remove both pieces of glass, and suspend the fixture from the cieling, or I would make a wooden canopy for the tank and mount the lights to the canopy.

Hi Kevin

I followed the directions from www.liveaquaria.com for the acclimation of the starfish. He/She never touched air, and spent the night (with the rest of my purchases) in a quaranteen tank after about a 5 hour slow drip from a line from the tank with a knot at one end. On day two, he/she was just fine. Moving slowly and what-not. I guess it just happens from time to time. I feel like a schmuk - acting like a baby and all.

As for the light fixture - thanks for the advice. that would be my first choice, too -- to hang it from the ceiling. However, it is in my living room and I can't really support it from the ceiling. I am thinking of supporting it from the hex frame, however, and I appreciate your advice. I was certain that two planes of glass was too much.

I feel like a schmuk - acting like a baby and all.

Please dont, I find your attitude about losing your star commendable and would have little respect if you had a "they are disposable pets"/cavalier attitude.

Thanks! That really makes me feel better. I'm watching my tiger-tail and lettuce-nudibranch like a HAWK scared-to-death who is gonna be next, but I think they are gonna be fine. Thanks again! :)

Todd

toddwess said:
Thanks! That really makes me feel better. I'm watching my tiger-tail and lettuce-nudibranch

I would highly recommend supplimenting the nudi's food supply. They are herbavors and if the tank has not yet developed enough of it's own food sources, the lettuce nudibranc will not fluorish. A piece of nori wrapped on a small rock once or twice a week would help alot. Also watch the NO3 levels very carefully. Anything above 20ppm and these guys will sometimes do the "meltdown". :(

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
toddwess said:
Thanks! That really makes me feel better. I'm watching my tiger-tail and lettuce-nudibranch

I would highly recommend supplimenting the nudi's food supply. They are herbavors and if the tank has not yet developed enough of it's own food sources, the lettuce nudibranc will not fluorish. A piece of nori wrapped on a small rock once or twice a week would help alot. Also watch the NO3 levels very carefully. Anything above 20ppm and these guys will sometimes do the "meltdown". :(

Cheers
Steve

Glad you mentioned that! It was one of my next questions. I have a TON of green algae, but was wondering what to do when the algae starts to get sparce. The guy at the LFS recommended some dried sea-weed sheets. They are basicly just dried seaweed and algae pressed flat. Is that stuff okay? What is nori? Can I use a rubber-band to hold it to a rock?

My NO3 is right at zero if I'm reading the scale right.

As always - thanks for your advice and help!

Todd

toddwess said:
The guy at the LFS recommended some dried sea-weed sheets. They are basicly just dried seaweed and algae pressed flat. Is that stuff okay? What is nori? Can I use a rubber-band to hold it to a rock?

Nori is dried seaweed sheets. Make sure you never get the "toasted" style you see at the market. It's the same stuff you use for rolling sishi.

A loose rubber band would be the easiest way to hold it down. Just don't leave it in the water more than a week straight and use a different one every so often. The band will rot after awhile and be hard to find.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom