Question about heater and pump for 35G spare SW container

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have purchased a 35Gallon container from Lowe's where I will be storing my RO/DI saltwater for water changes. What size heater and powerhead do I need to support this? My LFS recommended a 150Watt heater and a Maxi-Jet 600 powerhead. Is he correct, or not?

Should be fine. You could get a bigger heater if you wanted. If your tank is bigger, you could get the same size heater and use that as a backup if needed.

If your tank is bigger, you could get the same size heater and use that as a backup if needed.

My tank is a 90 gallon with a 200 Watt heater and a MagDrive 7 pump (no powerhead). Are you recommending that I get another 200Watt heater for my container? Is the Maxi-Jet 600 sufficient?

Can anyone tell me the difference between a pump and a powerhead? (God, I feel like an idiot for asking that question). Do I need a powerhead in my tank? The LFS guy told me that he set me up in such a way that I didn't need one.

You can't really go wrong with a bigger heater especially for a spare water container. If you main tank heater ever failed, you would have a backup. Plus, the price from a 150 to a 200 is normally not a big deal. A 150 would do fine though.

Pumps are normally meant for sump setups. Powerheads are for intank water circulation. Pumps can be used for this via a closed loop but most just use PH's.

Back
Top Bottom