Question about led lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been looking at different light systems. Has anyone tried a DiY LED system? I was on my local forum and someone posted the following site. Was just wondering how it was working out if you had.

http://www.rapidled.com/

I havent actually dived into it yet but it will be my next venture, the problem ive noticed with diy led ( especially the higher end leds) is that you cant simply buy a ton of leds, wire them together, and plug it in. There is some moderate math calculating that goes into it. Other than that i think it would be a ton of fun to try out. Especially if someone took the time to work in full reef-capble diy leds into the canopy of a bigger tank... Woukd look amazing

For mine, I called them (rapidled) and they were so informative. They asked me how I wanted to wire it, and what I had. They literally printed out directions. My buddy did the same but he went solder less. He had them put together in less than an hour while it took me almost two days. Love them and so does my coral.

I'm wanting LED but was hoping to save a few bucks yet have good quality. Still researching though and to be very honest, I don't know diddle about wiring so a DIY may not be an option for me. I was curious as to how easy or hard it truly was.

nikki_kaiser said:
I'm wanting LED but was hoping to save a few bucks yet have good quality. Still researching though and to be very honest, I don't know diddle about wiring so a DIY may not be an option for me. I was curious as to how easy or hard it truly was.

Research point view leds. ... Or even kessil . Depending on tank width, you could do a few of the kessils and still get the same effect

Since i cant inbox you, ill just ask here...

So i was tossing around the idea of possibly starting a diy led setup. I have a 125g 6 footer. Im not looking to ever do any corals and i dont want the insane brightness i get from overpowering high wattage setups... If i ran 9 whites (3 seperate triangle patterns) and 6 blues... You think that would be sufficient lighting to give me that shimmer effect??

huma-huma said:
Since i cant inbox you, ill just ask here...

So i was tossing around the idea of possibly starting a diy led setup. I have a 125g 6 footer. Im not looking to ever do any corals and i dont want the insane brightness i get from overpowering high wattage setups... If i ran 9 whites (3 seperate triangle patterns) and 6 blues... You think that would be sufficient lighting to give me that shimmer effect??

It should be ok, my LEDs are on my corals but that buddy I mentioned, his are on a fowlr. I think he has 36 3 watt bulbs on a 90 and his tank is well lite. His is in a den with a tv so he had the same issue. I think his ratio is 3 whites to 1 blue. The fish don't really need the blue, so I would try and stick with that ratio. I will ask him what he did and try to snag a pic for you.

Back
Top Bottom