Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2003, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question about livesand & base rock

This is kinda hypothetical I guess.

We are moving & I so far can't find an aquarium store within a 2 hr drive & I won't know anyone to get some LR or sand from their established tank. I am going to order plain baserock in stead of LR & used a normal substrate. My question is that if I buy a small bag of live sand & add that will those organisms migrate & develop on my base rock. Or am I going to have to try to get my hands on 1 or 2 pieces of live rock in order to get growth on my base rock?

Is there a web site that sells liverock in small quantities, 15 lbs & less of live rock. Would that small amout be enough to start growth on my other rock if I can get some?

-::- ((.*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:20 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
WHen you say live sand are you refering to the stuff in the bags thats comercially packaged?

If so I have been under the impression its more or less loaded with bactera but not the other creatures you usually find living in a sand bed.

Yes you can seed your base rock and your sandbed with live rock. Depending on time frame I may be able to help you with an online place that will sell you a small amount of live rock.

Shoot when it comes to sand I woudl be willing to sell ya a few lbs of my sand to seed your tank when your ready. I dont have a ton of it so I cant promise it to anyone else.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I was talking about the stuff in the bags. Where will sell LR in small amounts? I found 1 place but it was still expensive I thought for 1 10 lb rock. Would 1 rock be enough to seed my base rock? We are moving to Missouri June 13th. So I'll be looking to start setting up my new tank hopefully by the end of June, definitely July.

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Is there a web site that sells liverock in small quantities, 15 lbs & less of live rock. Would that small amout be enough to start growth on my other rock if I can get some?
You could get some from a few sites on the web. But, if I am not mistaken, it is going to cost you more in shipping than the actual rock. Your best bet is to go with the 45 lb boxes with free shipping. When you can get it at $4 lb. it is worth it.

If you do get a small amount, it will spread to the other rock and sand, however, it is kind of like a the more the better thing IMO.

I would give up some sand too...pm me with where you are going and let me know. I can probably spare a couple pounds, as I am looking into adding more sand to my tank anyway...
Old 04-14-2003, 08:08 PM   #5

Oh yeah, I forgot. I believe you can order by the pound from here
Good luck
Old 04-14-2003, 08:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's what I'm starting to see that it's cheaper to just buy it all LR. I did that with my 1st tank & was just trying to do it cheaper this time but I don't think I'm going to be able to.

Old 04-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I ran across them today, they have nice stuff.

Old 04-14-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Who is the cheapest then when it comes to liverock, & does the free shipping?

Old 04-14-2003, 09:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
hey where will you be at in missouri? i am on the border of illinois and missouri and would give you a few pounds of sand from mine. also there are a ton of good places in st louis to buy rock for like 4.99 a lb
Old 04-14-2003, 11:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

We'll be at Ft Leonard wood, that's in Waynesville, MO. I found some fish stores in St Louis, looking for somewhere closer than 2 hrs away.

Tags
base, base rock, live, rock, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com