Question about livesand & base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is kinda hypothetical I guess.

We are moving & I so far can't find an aquarium store within a 2 hr drive & I won't know anyone to get some LR or sand from their established tank. I am going to order plain baserock in stead of LR & used a normal substrate. My question is that if I buy a small bag of live sand & add that will those organisms migrate & develop on my base rock. Or am I going to have to try to get my hands on 1 or 2 pieces of live rock in order to get growth on my base rock?

Is there a web site that sells liverock in small quantities, 15 lbs & less of live rock. Would that small amout be enough to start growth on my other rock if I can get some? :?:

WHen you say live sand are you refering to the stuff in the bags thats comercially packaged?

If so I have been under the impression its more or less loaded with bactera but not the other creatures you usually find living in a sand bed.

Yes you can seed your base rock and your sandbed with live rock. Depending on time frame I may be able to help you with an online place that will sell you a small amount of live rock.

Shoot when it comes to sand I woudl be willing to sell ya a few lbs of my sand to seed your tank when your ready. I dont have a ton of it so I cant promise it to anyone else.

Yes I was talking about the stuff in the bags. Where will sell LR in small amounts? I found 1 place but it was still expensive I thought for 1 10 lb rock. Would 1 rock be enough to seed my base rock? We are moving to Missouri June 13th. So I'll be looking to start setting up my new tank hopefully by the end of June, definitely July.

Is there a web site that sells liverock in small quantities, 15 lbs & less of live rock. Would that small amout be enough to start growth on my other rock if I can get some?

You could get some from a few sites on the web. But, if I am not mistaken, it is going to cost you more in shipping than the actual rock. Your best bet is to go with the 45 lb boxes with free shipping. When you can get it at $4 lb. it is worth it.

If you do get a small amount, it will spread to the other rock and sand, however, it is kind of like a the more the better thing IMO.

I would give up some sand too...pm me with where you are going and let me know. I can probably spare a couple pounds, as I am looking into adding more sand to my tank anyway...

That's what I'm starting to see that it's cheaper to just buy it all LR. I did that with my 1st tank & was just trying to do it cheaper this time but I don't think I'm going to be able to. :?

Who is the cheapest then when it comes to liverock, & does the free shipping?

hey where will you be at in missouri? i am on the border of illinois and missouri and would give you a few pounds of sand from mine. also there are a ton of good places in st louis to buy rock for like 4.99 a lb

We'll be at Ft Leonard wood, that's in Waynesville, MO. I found some fish stores in St Louis, looking for somewhere closer than 2 hrs away.

For you LR call www.drmaccorals.com. They have some really nice rock and will ship any quantity you want as well as allowing you to tell them what you want. For example if you want 15 lbs of LR you tell them you want 1 x 15lb rock or 1 x 8lb and 1 x 7lb rock or well you get the picture :D . Good luck.

hey i know djswift is from the same area i am and he goes all the way to springfield MO to get some of his stuff try PM ing him and asking if he knows some places out there it looks like springfield isn't that far from you. sorry i don't know any, but i will definatly tell you if i hear anything.

Try Springfield MO, I don't remember where it is or even the name, but I stopped through there a while back and visited a LFS, it wasn't as large as some in St. Louis, but.... it was a LFS. Check the yellow pages when you get there.

I'll do just that trust me (the yellow pages idea). I have only found 1 place in Springfield on the net. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom