Question about Mushrooms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

me1newman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know if I am in the right spot to ask this question. And it may be a crazy Question but I have been told that to many mushroom will cause problems with my chemicals which in turn will cause me to have algae problems. If that is the case, Can anyone tell me how I can go about getting rid of some of the Mushrooms (without causing more problems for my sake)

Attachments

• pc290002_136.jpg
    pc290002_136.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 19
Many corals produce chemicals to ward off other corals. Corallimorphs (mushroom anemones) could very well produce similar compounds. But, this alleopathy (chemical warfare) will not cause algae problems.

I agree. If you are having algae issues it isn't from the mushrooms. If you would like to get rid of some though, you can try scraping the rock from under them with a sharp knife, like a scalpel.

If you space corals apart the appropriate distance, use GAC or chemi-pure and perform regular water changes you should not notice any problems.

Ok well if it doesn't cause algae problems can you still have to many Corals (mushrooms) in the tank. I don't think that they look bad like it is for now but, don't want it to start causing problems with any kind of chemicals. Is there any certain chemicals that I should be watching for if they cause chemical problems? I have had the tank up and running for 2 years in February and I feel like I have always had a algae problem with my sand and walls. Is it normal for me to have to clean my walls on the tank like every other day because of algae growing on it? I just changed my phosphate filter again last week and it doesn't seem to be helping much at all. All of my test show that everything is where you tell me that they should be. Do I maybe have my rock to close togther not getting enough water flow? Just trying to figure anything out that might be causing it all..
I guess it is probably stupid Questions for my to ask after two years at it but I feel like I am not doing something right and think it is better to ask and learn than to try and learn on my own and something happen to it as much as I have put in to it. Thanks in advance, I will get it figured out one day.

You`ll be OK. We all ask questions. My tank has hundreds of mushrooms in them. I`ve never had any problems with mine not to say that it cant happen but if you want to get rid of some of them take them to your LFS and trade them to him for store credit. I do it all the time. I`ve probably sold him 300.00 worth. They grow in my tank like wildfire. My LFS will take all I can give him. here is one of my rocks with them.

Attachments

• 100_0144_218.jpg
    100_0144_218.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 16
True if you are careful they are hardy easy to care for corals. However you may want to not have so many on your rocks.

Notice Melosu has them all on one rock. If you decide to add other corals and they touch, they have a deadly sting to many corals fwiw.

That`s just one rock as I said they are all over my tank. I agree with Lando that if you do those few things you`ll be OK. Works for me.

Maybe you are right, I alwys hear stories of the sting killing other corals but I personally only had one or two. More of an SPS guy.

I just have experience in my tank so maybe there is other experiences out there. I know I have mushrooms touching other corals and they are not doing anything. But I also practice weekly PWC`s also. Have a great day. My day is already ruined thanks to the Cowboys.

Back
Top Bottom