Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

According to my fish store, this brown algae is common in new tanks. He sold me a Mexican Turbo Snail and a common Sea Urchin. I am not sure who has been busy cleaning but the rocks are looking a lot better! I would say 50% of the brown algae is gone. I tested my levels again today and Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are all still zero. I have added my first 2 fish 10 days ago. How do I know when I should do a water change? In my freshwater tank, I do one about every 45 days. I know I have to do more with saltwater tank but just not sure when.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

The brown algae is most likely diatoms which are common in new tanks..as for the water change it depends...do you have any corals in there?even if not your inverts still need calcium and the proper alk so whenever your parameters stray from the norm it is time for a water change

Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #23

No corals yet. Since I am not testing for calcium or alk, would those variations show up in my test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites or ph? Maybe I should be testing for calcium and alkalinity???
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I would caution you with that urchin, they can be destructive. They have a tendency to knock things around.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #25

My dragon goby has been hiding since I put him in the aquarium 8 days ago. He was swimming all over the place in the fish store and sifting sand like crazy. I thought he would be fun to watch but not so far. Is this normal?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes its normal..saltwater fish seem to take longer to feel comfortable in a new home then FW imo
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #27

I think I bought a Dud. He is still hiding. The lady at the fish store acted line Dragon Goby are known for digging a hole in the sand and staying in it. Too bad she didn't tell me that when I bought him. He was swimming around like crazy at the fish store. ***disappointed***

Tags
build, corner, corner tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com