Question about my 54 gal corner tank buildout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to my fish store, this brown algae is common in new tanks. He sold me a Mexican Turbo Snail and a common Sea Urchin. I am not sure who has been busy cleaning but the rocks are looking a lot better! I would say 50% of the brown algae is gone. I tested my levels again today and Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are all still zero. I have added my first 2 fish 10 days ago. How do I know when I should do a water change? In my freshwater tank, I do one about every 45 days. I know I have to do more with saltwater tank but just not sure when.

The brown algae is most likely diatoms which are common in new tanks..as for the water change it depends...do you have any corals in there?even if not your inverts still need calcium and the proper alk so whenever your parameters stray from the norm it is time for a water change

No corals yet. Since I am not testing for calcium or alk, would those variations show up in my test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites or ph? Maybe I should be testing for calcium and alkalinity???

My dragon goby has been hiding since I put him in the aquarium 8 days ago. He was swimming all over the place in the fish store and sifting sand like crazy. I thought he would be fun to watch but not so far. Is this normal?

Yes its normal..saltwater fish seem to take longer to feel comfortable in a new home then FW imo

I think I bought a Dud. He is still hiding. The lady at the fish store acted line Dragon Goby are known for digging a hole in the sand and staying in it. Too bad she didn't tell me that when I bought him. He was swimming around like crazy at the fish store. ***disappointed***

Back
Top Bottom