Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question about my 54 gal corner tank buildout

I purchased a 54 gallon corner aquarium and am getting ready to build my 1st saltwater aquarium. Honestly, I had no idea when getting started that saltwater aquariums were soooo much different and required soooo much more equipment and knowledge than a freshwater tank.

Long story short, my aquarium will be adjacent to a window (which I know is not the best scenario). This window does not get much (if any) direct sunlight since it is next to our back covered patio. With the sides of the aquarium blacked out, hopefully that will minimalize the sun as well. My question is to how far the aquarium should be away from my window drapery. I have read about salt creep and while I really don't want it too far from the corner, I also don't want salt on my burgundy drapery. Do you think 2 -3" away from the drapery is far enough? That puts me about 7 - 8" away from the window/wall. I feel like if I go any further, I am creaping into my room which makes the corner aquarium look funny since it's not really in the corner. Of course, I don't want to take my drapery down either. Does anyone have any experience with salt creep?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Sherri

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #2

Ok, obviously not a lot of advice on salt creep. My next issue is that a neighbor of mine gave me lots of rocks he used to have in his old salt water aquarium about 15 years ago. I have rinsed the dust off of them and currently have them soaking in my bathtub in fresh water. My question is should I be soaking them in a bleech solution or salt water instead of freshwater? Also, I have purchased 60 lbs of live sand for my 54 gallon tank. Will I need live rock in addition to the live sand or will the rock I was given become live just from the sand. I thought about getting a few small live rocks and putting them into my sump. Any suggestions or advice?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If the rocks are completely clean then i think it would be fine to add them to the tank. I wouldnt soak them in bleach though, just regular water is fine. If youre talking about live sand from a bag then I wouldnt get your hopes up as there isnt really that much life in the bagged live sand.

The base rock will eventually become live so don't worry about that. The same goes for the sand. I would add some live rock to the mix and go from there.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #4

Shoot... I had my hopes up with the live sand. He has given me quite a bit of rock. Could I get by with just adding 10% live rock? Does it matter if it is in my aquarium or in my sump? Do you think 60 lbs of live sand is enough for a 54 gallon tank?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

60lbs of sand would be the minimum I'd add. You can add 10% live rock and the "liveness" will transfer over to the base rock in a few weeks. After a month or two you won't even know the difference.

I would put the live rock in your tank, some in the sump can't hurt either.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #6

Thanks Carey. You are always so helpful. I went to the LFS armed with photos of the rocks my neighbor gave me. Come to find out many are skeletons of dead corals. That shows you how much I know about this hobby...lol. They look really cool though. Is there any disadvantages to putting them in my tank? Some of the rocks he gave me were pukani rocks or something like that. Has anyone had experience with putting coral skeletons in their tank?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be fine putting them in. Bacteria will grow on their surface just as will coralline algae. No issues.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, that's the deal Give it a few weeks and that dry rock will have beneficial bacteria on it and after a couple of months you won't even be able to tell the difference.

If the rocks are ugly just put them in the back or under the rock structure.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #9

So I was out of town yesterday and went to a LFS. When I was telling the guy (who has the personality of a rock) about what types of rocks my neighbor gave me, he said some things I hadn't heard on this forum. For the record, I took all of the pukani rock and coral skeletons and have soaked them in my bathtub for 1 week changing the water twice. That seemed to get quite a bit of gunk out of the rocks. The guy said that if I use the old pukani rock (and he didn't specify pukani, he said any porous rock), that in about 8 - 12 weeks the rock with burp out all kinds of old dead stuff that it has stored in it's pores and it will ruin my water. Has anyone heard that before? Wouldn't my skimmer help along with a couple of water changes if that happens? He also said to avoid the coral skeletons because they tend to have sharp edges and your fish can hurt themselves. Is this true?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-908813943.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	75954

This is a photo of the skeletons. (I assume they are all skeletons). Thanks for your input.

Sherri
Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That's absurd about the rock "burping out old, dead stuff", and equally ridiculous is that fish don't know how to navigate around coral skeletons. What I would ask your neighbor is if he ever used a copper based medication on the tank when he had that rock in there. If so, that rock might not be any good. Copper is hard to get out of rock and copper is a no-no if you want to keep invertebrates.

Also, salt creep will not be a problem if you don't have a bubbler in the tank or any splashing water at the surface.

Tags
build, corner, corner tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com