Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrites are highly toxic to both fresh and saltwater fish. You want zero nitrites in the tank before adding livestock.

Nitrates aren't "bad" for freshwater (< 40ppm is ok), but should be kept to a minimum in saltwater, and at/near zero for a reef tank.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Nitrites are highly toxic to both fresh and saltwater fish. You want zero nitrites in the tank before adding livestock.

Nitrates aren't "bad" for freshwater (< 40ppm is ok), but should be kept to a minimum in saltwater, and at/near zero for a reef tank.
Did you read the article. That why I am questions it. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php

Old 08-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read this: Ammonia conversion to nitrate - Aquarium Advice

IMHO, it's not worth the stress or the risk of losing livestock just to save some time during the cycle (which is something that gets done once).
Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Read this: Ammonia conversion to nitrate - Aquarium Advice

IMHO, it's not worth the stress or the risk of losing livestock just to save some time during the cycle (which is something that gets done once).
I am not adding any fish until it has fully cycled. When I first started my first freshwater tank years ago I didn't know anything about it and I got like 8 fish to start with. I lost a few but 5 of them are still with my tank years later. I don't want to hurt them in any way like I did with my first tank. I just hear so many conflicting arguments with what's right and what's wrong that it is so confusing. I just read this article about cycling. http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/cyc...rine-aquarium/
Old 08-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post
I also read online that as long as there is no ammonia in the tank the rites and rates will not harm your fish. It's not like freshwater. Here is the article. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php
Nitrites are very toxic to fish, your gonna need lots off oxygen to keep them swimming
Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanthegod View Post

Nitrites are very toxic to fish, your gonna need lots off oxygen to keep them swimming
It is still reading the same as before. I do see some browning on my white Rock that is in there. Is this algae? I also put in coralline algae on Saturday that I cot from my lfs. Where do you think that I am at in this cycle process. Ammonia is 0 rates and rites are both pinned. They have been like that for at least 2 weeks. Ty
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also just added 5lbs of live rock from the lfs. Now that's the only live rock that I have in there besides the uncured rock that I used to start the cycle. Any info would be awesome. Ty.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #38

What kind of lighting are you using? It sounds like algae
Old 08-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanthegod View Post
What kind of lighting are you using? It sounds like algae
I am only using 1 14w hood light for right now. I am in the middle of building my 135salt in wall tank. When I finish that I will be using 120w full spectrum led. The tank is in the basement and will not really get any natural sunlight. It is only on that one rock no where else. Weird. Something is also stalling my cycle.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #40

135 gallon or liter?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com