Question about my cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my reading from this morning. The ammonia looks like it is up but it is zero and ph look a like its a higher then it is it's just the pic

image-3192378161.jpg
What do you guys think??

either add a raw shrimp or dose with pure ammonia (like this, from Ace hardware, about $3 a bottle:
pACE-951690dt.jpg

either add a raw shrimp or dose with pure ammonia (like this, from Ace hardware, about $3 a bottle:

I already had my ammonia spike in the first week. At the ammonia started dropping my nitrites went up Then the nitrates started going up. I used dead live rock for my ammonia source. I should be pretty close to the end of my cycle.

if your BB don't have a constant food source, though, it could cause it to stall. you want to keep the ammonia in the system until the nitrites zero out and nitrates climb. at that point, you can dose daily with ammonia and everything (except 'trAtes) should be zero within 12-24 hrs, and then you're done.

Waiting is the hardest part! Your tank isn't ready yet. When those trites are zero, your test water will be unmistakeably blue as that top square on the chart. Then you will need to do a major water change. Hang in there!

My tank cycled in about 3 weeks, then I kept dosing ammonia daily for another 6 (mainly due to life getting in the way of actually starting to add stuff).

I did a 100% water change to get all the accumulated nitrates out of the water, and as of my last water change on Sunday (the tank has been "officially" running since June 8), everything is zero, and nitrates are at 5ppm and haven't budged.

My tank cycled in about 3 weeks, then I kept dosing ammonia daily for another 6 (mainly due to life getting in the way of actually starting to add stuff).

I did a 100% water change to get all the accumulated nitrates out of the water, and as of my last water change on Sunday (the tank has been "officially" running since June 8), everything is zero, and nitrates are at 5ppm and haven't budged.

There are small small crabs in there is it ok to use ammonia.

+1 for the raw shrimp. I used this method to cycle my tank and it took about 3 weeks.

Nitrites are highly toxic to both fresh and saltwater fish. You want zero nitrites in the tank before adding livestock.

Nitrates aren't "bad" for freshwater (< 40ppm is ok), but should be kept to a minimum in saltwater, and at/near zero for a reef tank.

Read this: Ammonia conversion to nitrate - Aquarium Advice

IMHO, it's not worth the stress or the risk of losing livestock just to save some time during the cycle (which is something that gets done once).

I am not adding any fish until it has fully cycled. When I first started my first freshwater tank years ago I didn't know anything about it and I got like 8 fish to start with. I lost a few but 5 of them are still with my tank years later. I don't want to hurt them in any way like I did with my first tank. I just hear so many conflicting arguments with what's right and what's wrong that it is so confusing. I just read this article about cycling. http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/cycling-a-marine-aquarium/

Nitrites are very toxic to fish, your gonna need lots off oxygen to keep them swimming

It is still reading the same as before. I do see some browning on my white Rock that is in there. Is this algae? I also put in coralline algae on Saturday that I cot from my lfs. Where do you think that I am at in this cycle process. Ammonia is 0 rates and rites are both pinned. They have been like that for at least 2 weeks. Ty

I also just added 5lbs of live rock from the lfs. Now that's the only live rock that I have in there besides the uncured rock that I used to start the cycle. Any info would be awesome. Ty.

What kind of lighting are you using? It sounds like algae

I am only using 1 14w hood light for right now. I am in the middle of building my 135salt in wall tank. When I finish that I will be using 120w full spectrum led. The tank is in the basement and will not really get any natural sunlight. It is only on that one rock no where else. Weird. Something is also stalling my cycle.

Back
Top Bottom