Question about ph.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salukis97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I've had my 75 gallon FOWLR up and running for a week now.

I have approximately 100 lbs of cured live rock I purchased from a local person's established tank.

I have approx. 2 inches of oolitic aragonite sand as substrate.

There is a 45 gallon sump with another 20 pounds of Live Rock Rubble for added filtration.

Protein skimmer is an aqua-c Remora Pro located on the sump. Currently Running.

Tank is filled with all RO/DI water. salinity is within normal parameters.

Current Known Water Parameters:

ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0-10 PPM
pH: 7.8

I know the ph is at the low end of the acceptable range.

My question is this: Should I expect the ph to rise at all on its own, or will I need to use buffering agents? I have checked the ph 3 times, and all 3 readings have been 7.8

Thanks in advance.

If your tank is cycling which it seems like it is, dont worry about PH now. You might not see much of a cycle because of the cured LR but still I would not worry about your PH right now. Tank is too unstable to worry about it now. In a month check it out. JMO. BTW Welcome to AA.

Welcome to AA!

Don't even bother checking pH while your tank is so young. There will be all kinds of fluctuations while the system gets established. Don't waste your time or $ on any pH buffer now or in the future.

7.8 is nothing to worry about down the line, in fact it's not unusually at all for pH to be 7.8 ish while the lights are off and rise to 8.2 ish after the lights have been on for a few hrs.

Thanks for the responses.

Your right. I checked the ph today and it is now pushing 8.4. This is the first time I have checked it in the middle of the day.

I've also been waiting on an ammonia and nitrite spike, but nothing has happened yet. I've put some fish food in the tank to give it something to break down. Is it possible that since I got the live rock straight from an already established tank, that there is already enough nitrifying bacteria in the tank to prevent it from going through a full blown cycle? I'm still going to wait a while before I add any livestock, but I was just wondering.

... I've put some fish food in the tank to give it something to break down. Is it possible that since I got the live rock straight from an already established tank, that there is already enough nitrifying bacteria in the tank to prevent it from going through a full blown cycle? I'm still going to wait a while before I add any livestock, but I was just wondering.

Totally possible. If you keep adding food, and see your nitrates slowly getting higher with no ammonia or nitrites, then I'd say you're cycled.

Back
Top Bottom