Question about pre-mixed salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbosnail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Around two weeks ago I mixed up ten gallons of water to do a pwc. I ended up not needing to do one, so I put power heads into the buckets and snapped the lids on. Today I was planing on doing a pwc and when I opened the buckets there is a bunch of white things in it. it kind of looks like a snow globe, but less white specks. Also there is a whiteish film on the sides of the bucket.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Did I do something wrong to spoil the water?

Can I still use it? (my guess would be no)

Thanks.

I dont know about using it but for reference I dont think you should have snapped the lid on,I normally have saitwater mixed for a week but leave the lids ajar with a powerhead and heater.

Actually that is what I did, Minus the heater, I couldn't snap them on all the way because of the cord. Otherwise I would have lol. Next time I will leave them ajar though.

i mixed up my water a week before i did my PWC a well no issues, have a heater a thermometer and powerhead in it with the lid parically on because of the cords, i have no problems at all.

was the bucket dirty?

No I washed it out before I used it.and I checked on the water a week or so ago and it looked fine then.

If the calcium falls out of solution, is it bad for my tank? I am making more for tomorrow, just wondering for future reference.

In my experience once you use the same rubber-maid to mix salt every time it starts to turn white over time i think it has to do with the calcium in the salt mix.

Are you using RO water? It's always good to have some water set aside for emergencies... and putting in a heater won't hurt either, just will make you even more prepared.

Yeah I think it is ro water. It is the water out of the water machine in walmart.

Back
Top Bottom