Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question about quarantine/acclimation of new fish

I was just reading the article about how to set up a quarantine tank and I had a question about acclimating it to the show tank.In the article, it talks about putting the new fish in a container so that their future tank mates can take out their aggression on the container , but it doesn't say whether the container is closed letting only air to be able to get in or out or if the container is just an open container.If its open can't the other fish get inside the container or the quarantined fish leave the container the minute he is left to his own?This is the part where I am a little confused. Can you help me understand how the fish is being introduced to the show tank.Thanks!
Also you don't put sand or substrate in the quarantine tank how is the ammonia and nitrite being neutralized with just an air pump and a sponge

Old 10-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Never heard of putting a fish in a container for introduction..... I just pull the new fish out of QT, do a normal acclimation, and if there's aggression issues, put the aggressor into QT for a week or two to allow the new fish to establish territory...

If you don't put anything into the QT tank that has beneficial bacteria on it, then, no, there's nothing processing ammo.... you're cycling another tank. This is the very reason why I keep a small bag of biomax in my sump.... If I ever need to set up a QT, I just fill my tank with water, pull the biomax out of my sump & drop it into my HOB filter, I already have a heater pre-set to temp.... plug everything in and I have a QT tank up & running in about 15 minutes.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
Never heard of putting a fish in a container for introduction..... I just pull the new fish out of QT, do a normal acclimation, and if there's aggression issues, put the aggressor into QT for a week or two to allow the new fish to establish territory...

If you don't put anything into the QT tank that has beneficial bacteria on it, then, no, there's nothing processing ammo.... you're cycling another tank. This is the very reason why I keep a small bag of biomax in my sump.... If I ever need to set up a QT, I just fill my tank with water, pull the biomax out of my sump & drop it into my HOB filter, I already have a heater pre-set to temp.... plug everything in and I have a QT tank up & running in about 15 minutes.
I'm still in the learning process.. What is biomax? I have a qt tank & we keep the filtration in our sump running & if we need the qt tank (which we haven't yet) then we fill the tank up & put the filtration system in it.. Is that a good idea or is it wrong?

I've been reading & asking a lot of questions & I've never heard of putting a fish in a container either. I wouldn't do it myself. I read when you add a new fish just to move a couple rocks around & add the fish while all the lights are off.
"But let there be spaces in your togetherness and let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls."-Khalil Gibran
mrs.octavia.rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post

I read this article:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/quarantine-for-saltwater-fish/
Totally of ftopic but I gotta say,Phranque,I love your profile pic!Foamy the Angry Squirrel is awesome!

Tags
acclimation, fish, new fish, quarantine, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com