Question about "recommended tank size" for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody, I have a 40 gallon tank and I had a question about how vendors post minimum tank requirements for a fish.

Lets say hypothetically it recommends minimum 40 gallon for "X" fish.
I have a 40 gallon but there is quite an amount of live rock...

Would I still be able to get "X" fish? Thanks!

You should be able to. As long as there is plenty of swimming room you should be OK. If there was no swimming room because of all the LR then you might be in trouble. How many percent is the tank full of rock?

Which fish are you looking at? If it's a fish that requires swimming room it may be questionable, but if it's a rock-dweller, bottom-dweller, or a percher I'd be fine with it

photostream

hehe :3 got some more live rock yesterday. I know its a lot but I think the image is kinda deceiving, a good front half of the tank (when looking from the side) is fairly open I think.

And I am not sure what fish to get :( I just wanted to see what my options were based on these answers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23928846@N06/5870428986/in/photostream

Oh ! and since I uploaded a picture, can anyone recommend anything about where my powerheads should be aiming? I am going off what the LFS person said and have them opposite ends and aiming at each other.

I noticed I have a problem with debris and such collecting at the rear left, and the right side ;T thanks

You don't have that much rock! I thought this tank was gonna be seriously stuffed full. Whatever fish you're thinking of is more than likely fine.

If it were me I'd the powerheads and put them on the back glass and point them towards the middle front of the tank and upwards a bit, does that make sense? LOL

yeah I know exactly what you mean, I did that but I changed it because my fish for some reason would get stuck above the powerhead...kinda like uhh the powerhead is pointing up/forward and he would seem to be trapped behind it by the current. He shouldn't be but I would come home and he would be behind the current like he was trapped :T

Back
Top Bottom