Question about substrate...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting a new 90 gal SW tank and I was thinking about mixing live sand with dry Carib Sea Aragamax ( probably a 50-50 mix). Will this be enough to seed my DSB? I've been getting mixed reviews at my lfs. They claim that the more LS, the better. But if I'm gonna cycle my tank anyway, will this matter? TIA!

well more sand creates more area for denitrification. but i do agree that you do not need to use only LS, you can definitly just seed dry sand with LS, just let is cycle a while. how deep were you planning on going with the sand bed?

For larger tanks deeper beds are recommended. 3" is usually considered the minimum for around a 55g tank, closer to 6" for big tanks.

i would stick to around 3-4 in. a true DSB is around 7 or 8 in., but they also come with quite a bit of baggage, esp for the new aquarist- they can actually become anaerobic in areas, and if those areas get disturbed they can release poisionous hydrogen sulfide gas which will result in fish death. DSBs are also linked to large algae blooms since they can become nutrient sinks, this is just IME, i do know people with very sucessful DSB tanks tho.

but yea 3-4 should be good. a nice area for denitrifying bacteria to grow.

HTH

On the subject, has anyone in the GTA (Greater Tyranna Area) a cup or two of live sand that I could beg, borrow or steal for seeding the DSB in my new FO (but none yet) WLR. Jeff
PM or write me here. As I set up this tank, I shall be asking lots of questions.

Back
Top Bottom