question about tangs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thegrumpyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok im thinking about getting a yellow tang and was wanting some advice about adding some algae to my dt what kinds would not be too invasive but still serve as nutrient export and as a food sorce for a yellow tang? My tanks 200 gallons and will be plenty large for this addition im just worried about feeding it adequately and would be adding the algae to my tank in advance to give it time to grow some. Also my tank is currently home to a puffer two yellow tail damsels and one blue damsel two blue legs one larger unidentified hermit and am having a small out break of what i believe to be green hair algae but im not to concerned about it at this point as i know the cause i left lights on to long anyways suggestions??

The tang "should" pick at the hair algae and rocks..I say should because my purple did it when i had some...I no longer have any algae growth in my tank..A tang doesn't need a tank with algae growing,,just offer it algae sheets (seaweed selects,julian sprungs) on a clip or rock..Also formula 2 and mega marine algae

I realize that they dont need live algae but i would like to offer some for grazing purposes i was planning on placing some throught the tanks rocks kinda in some patches to fill up some space in tank i dont mind some pruning but dont want it to spread fast and lots also if it eats the green hair that would be ideal but im counting on the green hair being kinda if not all the way gone by the time i get the tang and i would be clipping sheets of nori or what not but like i only wanna have to put a sheet mabe once a week and have it able to graze if it wants/needs also i think i could arrange to make lots more cover for it to hide when i place it in the tank

I can't think of an algae that won't get out of hand that a tang would like. You stand the chance of either the tank getting overgrown, or the tang eating it all in a short time.

Ahh thats the kinda advice i was not wanting to hear but was looking for thanks

Back
Top Bottom