Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question about water

I am still cycling my first sw tank. I just tested for Ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrate. Ammonia is on its way down. I have also checked for Calcium and Ph. My question is are my readings where they ought to be. Calcium is at 400 mg/L and Ph is at 7.9.

The other question is I have a Hagen master test kit and when i test for ammonia and calcium the first chemical it turns the water almost to a gel or so it seems is this normal? I've checked the expiry date and says its good to 2005.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
My question is are my readings where they ought to be.
There really is not ought to during the cycle. The only numbers you need to be concerned with right now, is the ammonia, and nitrite. Once both have peaked and dropped a large water change should get the rest where they need to be, and minor tweaking is an option

Quote:
The other question is I have a Hagen master test kit and when i test for ammonia and calcium the first chemical it turns the water almost to a gel or so it seems is this normal? I've checked the expiry date and says its good to 2005.
Hopefully someone else has some input here, I have no experience with Hagen kits, FWIW, I use Salifert and highly recommend them for accuracy and easy of use.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

But what about the Ph and Calcium will these numbers change as the tank cycles?
Old 10-03-2003, 08:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The ph will flutuate dramatically during the cycle and there is little you can do to change that, you can really screw up the chemistry of the tank trying to fix it.

Doubtful the CA will do anything but remain at 400, but as noted before, during the cycle it doesn't really matter.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 09:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

the same thing happened with my ammonia test from hagen, it turned out that the test was for fresh water only so i had too buy the new ammonia test kit and it is for fresh and salt water and takes 20mins too test this one.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com