Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question about water change

I was just wondering what the next best filtration method is down from R/O. I don't have enough cash right now to afford one, plus I don't know if I want to set one up in my appt. might be moving in the future. So just need a cost effecent, not to complex way of filtering my water. Good enough for a reef tank as well.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Maybe just buy it from your LFS or walmart store. My LFS sells RO/DI water and walmart sells RO water.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you don't mind doing some lifting, you could always go to your local Walmart and fill up some jugs using there in-store filters (big stand where people fill up those water cooler jugs). They only charge $0.35 a gallon so it's pretty cheap. I did a TDS reading on their water and it came out to 10ppm, my regular tap water was 180ppm so it worked for me for a while.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can pick up a RO/DI unit, you don't have to permenately mount it. It comes with a fitting that you can attach to your faucet like you would a hose or it also comes with a push/pull unit to attach to your kitchen faucet. The unit can go under the sink and just let it free stand there. That makes it very portable.
In the mean time those other solutions would work, but can get expensive over time.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya, the closest walmart to me has 0.88$ a gal water and that's it. But I'm going to try the other one a little further out. Don't want to drive way out there to do water change everytime though. I think my best bet is to save up, buy an R/O then take it with me. Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

you can get a real good ro/di unit off ebay for about $100. you'll spend that in a few months buying water at the lfs or walmart

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

it doesnt have to be walmart.most grocery stores have the machine out front for 35c
Old 02-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry, I've never seen these machienes. Anything I should be carful or warned about before setting up an R/O filter under my sink?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not much. Just check for leaks when you first install it.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Just make sure you get a RO/DI unit not just a RO. Also make sure you have a membrane flush kit installed. A TDS meter is usually included, if not, buy one.
I attach my RODI unit by using a garden hose apapter to the faucet (remove the aerator and attach garden hose adapter) instead of having it permanently attached.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com