Question about water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering what the next best filtration method is down from R/O. I don't have enough cash right now to afford one, plus I don't know if I want to set one up in my appt. might be moving in the future. So just need a cost effecent, not to complex way of filtering my water. Good enough for a reef tank as well.

Maybe just buy it from your LFS or walmart store. My LFS sells RO/DI water and walmart sells RO water.

If you don't mind doing some lifting, you could always go to your local Walmart and fill up some jugs using there in-store filters (big stand where people fill up those water cooler jugs). They only charge $0.35 a gallon so it's pretty cheap. I did a TDS reading on their water and it came out to 10ppm, my regular tap water was 180ppm so it worked for me for a while.

If you can pick up a RO/DI unit, you don't have to permenately mount it. It comes with a fitting that you can attach to your faucet like you would a hose or it also comes with a push/pull unit to attach to your kitchen faucet. The unit can go under the sink and just let it free stand there. That makes it very portable.
In the mean time those other solutions would work, but can get expensive over time.

Ya, the closest walmart to me has 0.88$ a gal water and that's it. But I'm going to try the other one a little further out. Don't want to drive way out there to do water change everytime though. I think my best bet is to save up, buy an R/O then take it with me. Thanks guys.

it doesnt have to be walmart.most grocery stores have the machine out front for 35c

Sorry, I've never seen these machienes. Anything I should be carful or warned about before setting up an R/O filter under my sink?

Not much. Just check for leaks when you first install it.

Just make sure you get a RO/DI unit not just a RO. Also make sure you have a membrane flush kit installed. A TDS meter is usually included, if not, buy one.
I attach my RODI unit by using a garden hose apapter to the faucet (remove the aerator and attach garden hose adapter) instead of having it permanently attached.

Back
Top Bottom