question on additives (yet again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickthapainter

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just need a couple of clarifications before placing an order...

The B-Ionic 2 part seems like a quality product for keeping calcium/alk in check.

I haven't tested my water for either yet (tank still settling, doing 20 gal per week water changes). I'll of course test both before adding any supplements (Salifert test kits).

Should I find out that either my calcium or alk are somewhat imbalanced, can I use the corresponding buffer as a stand-alone to tweak them back into line, or do the 2 part systems require an equal dose of both?

I am not planning on adding anything else to the water. I'll keep up with frequent water changes to maintain other vital elements (magnesium, strontium etc). Is this a mistake?

TIA

nick (the one armed painter)

I don't add equal quantites of each, necessarily. I tweak them if an individual test shows one to need more than the other. I think you'll find that you need to add X amount of the Ca additive weekly and Y amount of the Alk additive weekly. Those numbers will likely be different, but they should move together.

In larger tanks especially, you would be prudent to buy a stand alone dry product as well as the two part system. Often the balance will skew and need correcting. The liquid ionic compounds will work, you'll just need alot more of it which can be quite costly. Kent Turbo Ca and Superbuffer DKH would be a plus.

To raise even 5 ppm Ca in your tank you'd need about 50 ml of the liquid but only 1 tspn of Turbo Ca. Imagine if something got out of whack and the Ca dropped requiring a 30 ppm addition (which is actually quite common), you'd need 300 ml of the liquid. 1 gal = 3800 ml (approx), it would not be very cost effective. As a simple maintenace addition it should be okay in the beginning but it may end up breaking the bank once the tank is stocked. It really depends on what your going to do with the tank in terms of corals.

If your direction for the tank is going to be hard corals, I would take a look into a reactor of some type. It will be more efficient and less costly overal.

Cheers
Steve

To raise even 5 ppm Ca in your tank you'd need about 50 ml of the liquid but only 1 tspn of Turbo Ca. Imagine if something got out of whack and the Ca dropped requiring a 30 ppm addition (which is actually quite common), you'd need 300 ml of the liquid. 1 gal = 3800 ml (approx), it would not be very cost effective.

definitely something to take into account!

Cheers

everyone

I dont add anything in my tank and everything is very healthy.

What is holding your Ca and Alk levels up? Even healthy coraline algae will drive those down unless you're adding something.

Now..if you've only got fish....no problem.

Back
Top Bottom