Question on Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 45 Gal tank with live sand base, 10 lbs of base rock and 20 lbs of live rock. From what I have gathered here, we are going to be limited to about 5 or 6 smaller fish. I have also gathered that clowns do better in pairs. Is it a problem to have just one clown? That way we could build a little more variety into the tank. Although I prefer the black clowns, my wife insists that it must be orange. :) After all this is her birthday present. Are there different types and which are preferable? As always, thanks for the help. You guys are great.

I don't think there's any problem with a clown being alone, but I'd honestly urge you to get two. I have two Oc. Clowns (One orange, one black) and watching them swimming about together is great fun. They buddy up with our Firefish too.

It is well known that clowns live longer in pairs and will even change sex to balance out a couple. In terms of black or orange, black seem to grow bit bigger and seem to always be slightly more aggressive also they are usually double the price. Orange are more noticeable in the aquarium and are easier to keep.

There are loads of different orange clowns have a look on the web maybe you tube

Reef expert said:
It is well known that clowns live longer in pairs and will even change sex to balance out a couple. In terms of black or orange, black seem to grow bit bigger and seem to always be slightly more aggressive also they are usually double the price. Orange are more noticeable in the aquarium and are easier to keep.

Weird. My black occ. Is the mellow one. Happy little guy though

Back
Top Bottom