Question on Current Outer Orbit Lighting Fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteWidow11

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I have this fixture and I am thinking of keeping it and starting to layout the plans for a saltwater tank, or selling/trading it. I always shyed away from SW due to expensive lighting and other things. Now that I have the light I wanna consider the rest.

Can someone give me a brief overview of what kind of tank/setup I would use this fixture for? I'm assuming this is for reef, not sure how big of tank required tho. The MH is BRIGHT holy crap. The info I could get off it is as follows

Made by Current, approx 24.5" x 15"
Contains 1x 150w MH bulb
2x 65w PC's
4x LED's

This would be my first SW tank, currently keeping FW. If the tank required for this light is over my head, I would like to trade or sell it.

Also, appears there is a spot to plug in some kind of controller? I'm assuming this is how I would turn the led's on? Anyone know where to order it? If not is there a workaround? Or what goes in there?

Also, there is no model number on this, and since I'm new to sw lighting, I'm having trouble locating it online. Closest I can guess is its an outer orbit fixure. Can you tell from the pictures?

Thanks so much, sorry so many questions.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110409_213605.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110409_213605.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20110409_213712.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110409_213712.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 97
that fixture will light an approximate 2' x 2' reef tank.
the LEDs are only to simulate moonlights, and aren't necessary.
you don't need this sort of lighting to keep a salt water tank, unless you are intending to keep photosynthetic creatures in it like corals, clams, anemones..etc.
that fixture is a little outdated. there have been advancements since it was built, and you can achieve the same result with a less wattage fixture.
if you intend to use this fixture still, i would suggest replacing the bulbs before you begin. the metal halide lamp in the center is about 50 bucks give or take, depending on the bulb, and i think those power compacts are also in the 25-30 dollar range.

as far as naming the fixture, unless it has the current stamp on it, it could be a chinese knock-off fixture from ebay. they look very similar.

Awesome! Thanks for the help, it is definately stamped current, just no model number.

I think I may sell it and try to get a biocube or something, sounds like its gonna be a little for new bulbs.

How old would you say it is approx? Am I dreaming thinking I can get a used 14g cube in trade for it?

its hard to say how old it is. they don't change the styles of these fixtures very often. try unscrewing the side and looking inside for a production date. i don't know what a used bio cube 14 is worth but that fixture new was probably about 500 bucks.

Thank you very much, I was trying to get an idea of what I had. Biocubes on sale for 170. I already got 70 for some old tanks, so maybe ill put this on craigslist for 100.

Sold the fixture, now have money for the biocube.

This brings on many new questions, gonna start a new thread for it.

Thanks for your help, you really got me the information needed for the sale of it, and I appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom