Question on gathering crabs from coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Guys
Im going to the TX coast and last time I went we gathered a ton of crabs, but didnt bring them back and put them in my tank. I was wondering if anyone thought it wouldnt be a good idea to gather some and bring back this time? Any harm to my existing tank? Its been up and running for 5 years, with corals and fish. Just curious if anyone else has taken from the sea and put into their tank
Thanks

Unless you are gathering shrimp such as pistol, ghost, and/or peppermints I would leave the rest unless of course you happen upon pipefish, sargassum anglers (sp. specific housing), seahorses, or a puffer. The only crab I would trust are the porcelain crabs.

I have blue legged and red legged ones. The ones I found at the coast are all very small..like on the beach. Its a 100 gallon tank so I was thinking 10-15 small crabs wont be that big of a deal. I was more concerned about possible diseases they could bring in - not the crabs themselves..

Invertebrates won't bring in diseases succeptible to fish (for the most part); however, if you mix your water with gulf water there is always a possibility. Most of the hermits, blue and redlegged, I believe get large and are carnivorous for the most part.

I have a very large crab in my tank and he never offers to try and eat any of my fish. Of course I have a regal, yellow, and salfin, damsel, clown, wrasse and a goby..so most of them are good sized. So is the vote to NOT gather the crabs? Im thinking if I order crabs from a fish store, they come from some sea??

Small crabs can grow and become BIG crabs. Unless you know exactly what you are bringing in, and what its needs are I would leave it in the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom