question on phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean112280

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK my question is what are the effects of phosphates in a tank? I have some phosphates in my tank that I can't find where they are coming from. My RO/DI water has no detectable phosphates. but my tank has phosphates. Any ideas as to what will cause me to have these and whats a good way to lower or get rid of them?

Thanks,
Sean

Not the scientist, but I've heard of overusing flake foods and the frozen water that brine or myisis shrimp come in are loaded with phosphates. On the latter, I always rinse my frozen shrimp in fresh water iinstead of just dropping the cube in the tank.

Also, look up phosphate reactor and phosban.

ok thanks. I use Rod's food that I heard does not have phosphates in it, but i usually take a piece of the frozen and defrost it in my RO/DI before adding it to my tank. I will try to test that water with the food in it to see if that might be where it is coming from. good idea, thanks

Rinse the shrimp cube in FW, then add a little garlic guard and Zoe. Otherwise, that stuff is like eating potato chips for fish. Absolutely no dietary value.

yea I hear you on that one. So have you heard of the Rod's food having phosphates in it?

I am awaiting a reactor from a fellow reef buddy, probably the end of the week or so. All my other params seem to be pretty good except phosphate. So my plan is to make that reactor into a phosphate reactor. GFO is what I would need for that right?

Awesome thanks cmor. belle mead huh? I used to live in hillsborough, then raritan, and Bound Brook. Do you have some pics of your system?

I was born and raised up there. Haven't been up there in like 5 yrs. I am in the Army, and I don't talk to my mother anymore.

Back
Top Bottom