Question regarding new setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seajay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off I would like to thank you guys for putting such useful information on this site. I have learned more on this site than I would have learned in days at my local pet store.

I set up a 24 gal nanocube back on 2/19. I have 12 pounds of LR (bought at fish store) and that is pretty much it. It took a while to get the temp regulated (now at 78). I anticipated that I would be nearing by cycle end by now so I can move on with getting some crabs, snails, etc. I have been keeping the light off pretty much 24 hours per day (should I not do this?)

Here are my latest (as of an hour ago) test results.

Ph - 8.0
amm - 0.25
nitrate - 10
nitrite - 0

I have not done a partial water change at this point, only added a gallon of distilled due to evaporation. I have been using SeaChem liquid buffer and it has brought the ph up from 7.8 in two days. Do I need to be adding calcium every other day as the fish store suggested? Also, I plan to have fish, LR and corals in this tank. There is not much algae at all in the tank other than some small burgundy color blooms on the LR.

Any pointers, suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Chris

Also, I forgot to mention that I used live sand and I do not have any base rock - just 12 pounds of LR.

first off...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Do not worry about the water change. Looks like your cycle is well underway. Ammonia is down and nitrites are up. Next you can expect Nitrites to continue to climb and then fall as your nitrates show up. When ammonia and nitrites are at zero do a large (40-50%) waterchange. Wait a couple more days and test again. If all is well, the cycle is complete. there is no need to add liquid buffer or Calcium now. Good luck and remember that this all just takes time...Lando

Thanks for the advice. As far as the light is concerned, do I need to leave it on any certain amount of time? I was told to leave it off during the cycle.

Thanks!

No need for a specific photo period. If yo want it on a few hours a day that is okay. Off is fine to, it may decrease the algea bloom.

Ready for 1st water change and cleaning crew?

My test results today are:

Ph - 8.0
amm - 0
nitrate - 10
nitrite - 0

On 2/27 the results were the same other than pH - it was 7.8
I was planning on doing a significant water change tonite and hopefully get a few crabs, snails, etc. this weekend. I am having a fairly large amount of algae build-up on my LR. Some dark burgundy blooms as well as some brown. I have had the tank up and running since 2/19. Nothing is in there other than the LR.

I have a 24 gallon nanocube so what would you recommend as far as amount of crabs and/or snails. I am going to have FOWLR tank for quite a while.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Chris

I have a 24 gallon nanocube so what would you recommend as far as amount of crabs and/or snails. I am going to have FOWLR tank for quite a while.
Looks like your cycle has ended. Do the water change and see how parameters are after a couple of days. If all is well, maybe start with 6 snails and 6 hermit crabs.

Back
Top Bottom