Question regarding test kit.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwsharksfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Red Sea or API? Everything I read indicates Red Sea is more accurate - but how much accuracy is really needed? Salifert seems popular as well - but way too expensive. And with a reef tank do you really test for ammonia/nitrate after cycle? With my FW tank I never test. As long as I do my water changes all is well. If I don't have to test ammonia or nitrite regularly, I was thinking of just getting the red sea reef pro kit and maybe a nitrate and phosphate test. If I have to get ammonia/nitrite/nitrate then red sea starts to really get into the stratosphere on cost in relation to API.

Red Sea tends to be more accurate because it uses the method of titration to get a more accurate reading.

I just use the regular API liquid kits for normal testing but I'd rather be precise on more advanced tests and that's why I use the Red Sea reef kit.

If you have the money though Red Sea is a good brand.

Caleb

Thanks. So I take it you'd recommend using API for basics like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and using red sea for trace elements?

Salifert for Magnesium
Hanna Low Range for Phosphates, Calcium, Alkalinity
API for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate

Back
Top Bottom