Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Same situation here. Day 6 and greenish yellow merky color for ammonia. PH - 7.9 Nitrites - 0 Nitrates - 10. I have a 65 gallon tank with 25 lbs of live rock 25 lbs of base rock and 60 lbs of live sand (about 3 inches deep). I have 2 rio 1700 pumps for flow. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2 Emerald Crabs
Mpolizzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

The greenish murky yellow color based on the color card is equivalent to 0.0. So its good there. But I've always thought that API is poorly made test kits for saltwater purposes. As long as your ammonia and nitrite read zero and you have nitrate your tank is fully cycled.

Just remember to not go crazy and buy a whole bunch of fish to add to the tank because you will crash it as the beneficial bacteria in the tank will not be able to keep up with the bio-load. My best rule of thumb is after the tank is cycled with the damsel, don't add anymore fish for 2-3 weeks as to let it settle down chemistry wise. After that wait period remove the damsel as they are terrorists, bullies and territorial fish and put another hardy fish that's on your list into the tank (i.e. clown fish pair, or wrasse). Allow another 2-3 weeks in between adding fish and no more than 3 fish per time you add. (if you like the look of damsels and want them add them last in your tank after the other fish have had a month or so to establish their territory so the damsels wont mess anything up) Also 1" of fish per 2-3 gallons

Old 11-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxStLxx
The greenish murky yellow color based on the color card is equivalent to 0.0. So its good there. But I've always thought that API is poorly made test kits for saltwater purposes. As long as your ammonia and nitrite read zero and you have nitrate your tank is fully cycled.

Just remember to not go crazy and buy a whole bunch of fish to add to the tank because you will crash it as the beneficial bacteria in the tank will not be able to keep up with the bio-load. My best rule of thumb is after the tank is cycled with the damsel, don't add anymore fish for 2-3 weeks as to let it settle down chemistry wise. After that wait period remove the damsel as they are terrorists, bullies and territorial fish and put another hardy fish that's on your list into the tank (i.e. clown fish pair, or wrasse). Allow another 2-3 weeks in between adding fish and no more than 3 fish per time you add. (if you like the look of damsels and want them add them last in your tank after the other fish have had a month or so to establish their territory so the damsels wont mess anything up) Also 1" of fish per 2-3 gallons
The x fish per y gallons " rule " has been proved over and over and over again to be complete Oscar poop.

Tags
api, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com