Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Questionable product? Please comment

Hi all,

I bought a Powder Blue Tang last week and placed it in the QT. I was advised to use the Kordon Ick Attack to treat ICK instead of Coopersafe which I found to be very effective. The reason is to prevent the cooper from getting into the main tank when the fish is transfered over. I followed instructions and after a couple days, the fish got worse so I read the bottle for the ingredients. I found out that it is made of herbal products and I became very wary of its efficacy. Today the fish really got the ICK bad ( it may have died already) so I went online to read the comments about the "Ick Attack". The comments are not very favorable and now I really wonder if this product works at all. Any comments about this stuff?

PS: In my experience any medication that claim to be reef safe don't work at all. My latest experience confirms what I have believed all along. DP

Dr. Dai Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Typically if a product advertises itself as being made of herbs it's designed to be marketed to the sort of people who are more likely to smoke it than research it anyway.

No idea about that product specifically though.

gzeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
IMO it`s definitely not worth the effort. I know several people that have used it with no success. Alot of so called magic potions out there. Treat with hypo. For tangs they dont handle copper too good IMO.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
i just put all my fish in a qt tank and one of the is a pbt and the outher is a yellow tang and a maroon clown and 2 4 strip damsels and i used copper power and all the spots r now gone and it has only been 3 days and the tangs seem to be very happy so i would say i would use copper power and follow the doesing to what thay say on the bottle. and thay will still stay for 6 weeks in the qt tank so the cycle in the show thank will brake. well good luck with your pbt
rob_mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
HypOsalinity and using cleaner shrimps will usually help greatly .. Search out the HypOsalinity method and try that .. Copper has to be carefully monitored ..and dosed .. Only after you bring the SPG back to what it should be can you add the shrimp as they do not do too well in HypOsalinity ... Copper has a quick peak and sharp fall if not monitored can and will kill a fish. Remeber any fish that is scaleless such as a clown fish and puffers it should not be used . It should also not be used in the tank since it will kill off inverts .
Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Cupramine is safe for puffers and tangs from my experiences. Hyposalinity is probably the most affordable and natural route, but Chloroquine is the best method to date ime.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com