Questioning my fishless cycle currently

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it were me, I would stick to the pure ammonia. You are doing fine but just need to wait it out. If the ammonia is dropping quickly you have a good start on the bacteria colony that converts it to nitrite. But, if the nitrite is not dropping quickly it just means you are still grow the type of bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate. Keep in mind, that bacteria had no food source until the other bacteria start converting the ammonia. It is natural that is a bit behind. Kind of like me, a bit behind. :-0

Well it's bad when the ammonia source drops low correct?

Starves the nitrite bacteria doesn't it? That's why I figured the shrimp would have a more constant ammonia source.

Left without a food source for an extended period of time it will start to die off. But that isn't going to happen in a day or two. Relax a bit, I promise you won't kill the bacteria. :) I am still pretty new to all this too but one thing I have learned is that most of this is much simpler than we first thought. Keep in mind, this is all mother natures doing. She knew what she was doing. If she insisted everything was perfect or things would die none of us would be here right now. She is a pretty forgiving old lady. :) Just keep dosing like you are doing. If you miss a day, no big deal. Be patient and before you know it, your tank will look like mine (or hopefully better). :) Here is my tank. I started it in July.

^^ very impressive and beautiful! nice work

haha i started a saltwater tank to help my establish patience but i hate redoing things twice so i want to be 120% sure im on the right track and not taking one step forward than two steps back.

Looks like you just need your nitrite eating bacteria to colonize a little more. You're just about there. :)

Just FYI, once you're done cycling you will have a mega strong bio filter and can add as many fish as you want. However, that's not recommended because of territorial issues.

The bacteria can live for weeks without an ammonia source but it is better to keep them fed.

^^ great! very excited to hear.

would it be too far off topic to ask a quick life stock question? how many fish to start off with...?

The ammonia results are at a 24hr interval.

Topped off to 4-5ppm again, I'll post results again tomorrow

It's great that the ammonia is that low after 24hrs right? Just gotta wait for nitrites to drop to zero correct?

Attachments

• image-1207477831.jpg
    image-1207477831.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 77
Yes the ammonia level is very encouraging. What's going on with your PH? Again, wait for an expert to chime in but...... PH will go all over the place while you are cycling. Don't try to mess with it now. But, if it is still like that once you finish cycling you will want to get it in line before adding fish.

I'll check my pH in a few hours when I do the rest of the results.

Anyone else chime in?

Ammonia back down to 0

It's easily getting rid of 4ppm of ammonia in 24 hrs. I even want to say less than 24hrs.

Dosing back up to 4ppm and testing again tomorrow

Attachments

• image-2994249894.jpg
    image-2994249894.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 92
Everything is looking good so far. In response to your pH from earlier, I wouldn't worry about it, or even test it, until you are finished cycling. I wouldn't even bother testing nitrates until you are showing 0 nitrites. It'll save you some test liquid for the future. Other than that, looks just like my tests when I cycled. Keep us posted.

Nitrites are still high, same with nitrates. No/little change

Ammonia dropped from 4ppm down to 1ppm in 12 hrs.

Opinions?

Ammonia is dropping like crazy, I have to test it atleast 2-3 times a day and dose it 2 times a day to ensure it stays at 4ppm.

Attachments

• image-954746393.jpg
    image-954746393.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 61
You're almost done bud :)
Those nitrites will suddenly drop real fast. Mine went from >5 to about .25 just about overnight. Then it lingered at about .25 for a couple of days.

You are headed in the right direction. Now just wait for the nitrites to zero out and do a water change (or multiple) to get the nitrates down and you are good to go. As rdnelson said, dont worry about your ph, it will stabilize when the cycle is over.

Great. Hopefully soon! I'll post more results in the next few days

I was going to change 90% of the water.

I just can't get impatient and do a pwc at .25 nitrites haha!

Nitrites are still >5ppm

Ammonia is disappearing like mad, total of 8-10ppm a day. 4 every 8-12hrs will get back down close to 0

Should it be like this?

Yes. Your ammonia converting bacteria colony is super high right now and your nitrite eating bacteria hasn't caught up - only building your nitrites higher.

You could do a PWC to get it down to acceptable levels so you can read on the chart.

I wouldn't do more than dosing it to 4ppm once per day.

Back
Top Bottom