Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SH4N

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I test my tank every 1-2 days because i'm still new and want to make sure everything is right... my ammonia keeps going to 0.25 (mg/L), 2 days ago I did a 30% water change and today it was 0.25 again, I did another 20% water change, cleant my filter (with the water I took out of my tank) and now my tank is a bit clowdy... What causes my tank to become clowdy and is it harmful? and how can my ammonia keep riseing, I feed my fish only enough for them to eat. I have 2 clown fish, 1 blue tang and 3 hermit crabs.
185 litre/48 gallon

another question, to reduce diatoms/brown algae will it just dissapear with time? I have had it for about 2 months now (tank is about 5-6 months old). Should I use chemicals to slow the algae process? or any other way to get rid of it?

I have a small piece of small soft coral and want to eventually get more live rocks/soft coral, what kind of corals are easily kept for a begginer? and are anemones hard?

Thanks

you shouldn't have fish in the tank at all while ammonia is present. i would do large water changes until it's gone.
what do you mean by feeding your fish "only enough for them to eat"? last i checked fish will eat until you stop feeding them.
think about the size of the fish and the size of it's stomach. a pea sized amount of food is usually more than enough for a 4" fish. how often are you feeding?
there aren't any chemicals that truly work to remove algae from the aquarium, and are safe to use. again, water changes and possibly/probably reducing feeding is what i would suggest.

i wouldn't put any coral in the tank right now either. and definitely not an anemone.
soft corals are resilient for the most part.
you should have gotten all of your live rock before you added livestock. each time you add a substantial amount of live rock, you stand the chance of starting a mini cycle due to the die-off that's on it.
also, your tank is too small for a tang.

Back
Top Bottom