Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-12-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to yigosflower

just wondering what order i am suppost to put the:

or do i have to let the salt & water cycle for a few or what? does the water need to be heated before i can add my live sand?

please let me know any info you can provide! thanks a lot! =]

katie & chris
p's to a lot of creatures<3
17+ chinchillas
4 sugar gliders
4 cats
2 ferrets
1 mouse
3 fish tanks
& i think thats it...=]
yigosflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Mix the salt with the water. Add to the tank, then you add the sand. HTH!

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
If you don't mind it being cloudy for several days, you can add the sand then the water and add the salt directly to the tank water - but this is only OK on the initial setup. After that, you'll want to mix the water and salt before adding to the tank.

You may want to put a bowl on top of the sand and pour the water into the bowl - that way you wont disturb the sand too much.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If you put the sand in first you can place a sheet of aluminium foil over the sand and then slowly poor the water over the foil. I did it this way and I could just about see through the tank end to end after it was filled. It only took 3 or 4 days for the tank to be just about crystal clear.
75 gal
4x65w PC
AquaC Remora Pro
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set my tank up a few weeks ago

Water, let the filters run a day
then salt, for a day
then sand, filter off.
After the dust settled fired up the filters.

check your level and adjust as needed
72Gallon Bow Tank | LS/80lbs LR.com Keys LR 20Lbs Base Rock | fluval404 | Remora Skimmer | Red Sea Pro Wave Maker | 4 Maxi Jets 2/1200 2/900 PH | PinPoint PH Monitor | ARTICA 1/10 HP Chiller

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Originally Posted by yigosflower
does the water need to be heated before i can add my live sand?
Yes, the salt will also dissolve better in the higher temperature.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Also, (and please don't take this the wrong way)
since you didn't know what order to add the water, salt and sand, it sounds like you don't have a good SW book yet. I suggest The Consciencous Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner. Its an excellent book...very complete (for the beginner/novice..and even intermediate).

It's going to answer a lot of questions and give you a lot of information. it'll even answer questions you didn't know you needed to ask

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com