Questions About A FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I want to convert my 40gal breeder into a FOWLR tank. My question is would I need a filter or a skimmer on this large of a tank? I was planning on just using power heads and live rock to do the work. Also would a Sponge filter be effective at all in this size of a tank?

I would use a hang on back filter like an aquaclear. You want something that can mechanically remove particluate matter. Plus if you ever need gfp or carbon you can easily run it with that filter.

On that size tank a skimmer is optional in my opinion. BUT you really would have to watch your feeding and not overstock plus do your weekly water changes. :)

I was planning on having a Royal Gramma, Wrasse, Dwarf Angel (Flame or Half Black), And a Midas Blenny

I could get another Aquaclear 70, that would be no problem.

Thinking of doing like 50lbs of rock, Basicly all Marco rock ill toss a few lbs of my live rock in to seed the tank then remove it and put it back in my reef. I have PFS in the tank as of right now because its a FW tank but im just going to convert it. And probably just going to use a Double Bright or something like that to light it.

Any Ideas on good lighting that's rather inexpensive.

You could use an aquaclear 50 for the filtration and make a diy refugium with an aquaclear 70 and hang that on the back as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom