questions about buying used live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

want2findnemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some questions if I was to buy someone elses live rock who was taken apart their tank.

How do I test it to see if they used copper?

What is the proper method of holding the rock until my DT is fully set up and still maintain as much purple algae?

Cuz Im still in the middle of making my sump.

Thanks in advanced...

The easiest way to find out if they used copper based meds is to ask them. If you aren't sure and they aren't sure then I would pass on the rock. I had some offered to me for free but the person couldn't remember if they had or hadn't used copper. I turned it down.

You will need to keep the rock in SW with a power head. A skimmer wouldn't hurt either.

How long ago did they take their tank down? Has the rock been out of water?

aww so theres no way to test to see if they have used it? (copper)

um im not sure i will have to ask the guy

You can put it in your tub and wait a few days and see if copper is leeching into the water.
I agree with Ziggy but wanted to add, you will need a heater too.

aww so theres no way to test to see if they have used it? (copper)
If they did use copper, it would leech out at such a slow rate a normal hobby grade test kit would never pick it up. Only way to know is ask.

I agree with Ziggy but wanted to add, you will need a heater too.
Or a chiller...depending on the weather. :)

Alright thanks everyone. Unfortuntly the guy said he sold it. But now I know what to do if I manage to get used LR from someone.

You can also buy base rock. With base rock you don't have to worry about die off because it is already dead. It cost a lot less and in time becomes LR.

Well, I wouldn't say all base rock won't have die-off. I have found quite a few dead critters in my Marco rocks order, mainly serpent stars, so just be aware.

wow this forum kinda scares me i got about 50 pounds of died live rock that hasnt been in a tank for over a year i currently have it in my reef tank is ther a chance that if they used copper it would effect my tank ???
I have some questions if I was to buy someone elses live rock who was taken apart their tank.

How do I test it to see if they used copper?

What is the proper method of holding the rock until my DT is fully set up and still maintain as much purple algae?

Cuz Im still in the middle of making my sump.

Thanks in advanced...

Eventually it would probably leach out, mainly affecting invertebrates. If you've had your tank set up for at least a month and have no noticeable signs through testing I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the time your best answer comes from who you purchased from.

im most worried about my sps being affected its been 2 months and no signs yet im kind think about throwing the rock out

Why are you worried about copper? Was there copper used in the system? Are you testing for copper? I see no point in throwing away live rock without a reasonable basis.

i was afraid that the people i got it from used copper but they didnt thank goodness lol

Ok can i buy LR and BR and then when it comes put it in a huge rubber container with lots of flow and heated to like 85degrees 1.025 sal.

Have a skimmer in there and let it run while im still setting up my tank?

or

should i wait till I have my tank ready ready and then buy the rock and put it directly into my tank...?

Ok can i buy LR and BR and then when it comes put it in a huge rubber container with lots of flow and heated to like 85degrees 1.025 sal.
Yes, but why heat the water to 85? 76-78 is fine for curing rock.

I bought base rock from the same person that ziggy got it from on Ebay and there was no die off. It is limestone that was part of a reef probably a million years ago. You can put this stuff right in your tank after rinsing it off. Something to consider if you just want to add rock to your tank and don't need more LR this second. Plus with shipping and everything it comes out to about $1.60 per pound or so, pretty cheap.

Back
Top Bottom