Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2004, 01:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Questions about filtration,planning larger tank (need help)

Ok i plan to get either an 90 gal or 125 very soon and im trying to compare tank size and what i want to put in it blah blah blah.

What im getting hung up on now is filtration . Should i go with a tank with built in overflows? From what i understand the only diffirence between the over flow style and plain tank it that there are holes for the wet dry filter. Is the wet/dry much better than the hang on bio-wheel type filters?

My other question is about the wet/dry filters. This is where i get really confused and need help clearing this up. The one i want is like $300.00 and it has a built in protien skimmer but at the bottom of the description paragraph
it says appropriate pump not included. So i went to the pages it listed for pumps and here is what i dont understand:

Do i need a power head to run the filter or a pump or both. What is a power head vurses a pump. And what is with the crazy wattage useage numbers. Can i use these pumps on a regular wall socket or what?

Please help me understand!

Old 10-19-2004, 03:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is this a fish only?

Or FOWLR/Reef?

I'd get the built in overflows for the sump. Its somewhat better than my PVC pipe/cd spindle cover overflow

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

It will be a fowlr setup. In addition to the questions i need answered above i also have one more question. The 125 tank im looking at has two overflows, does this mean i need to buy two filters and pumps or can it be run from one?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
a PH is a (small) pump.

Get the one that is predrilled for sure. even if you don't use it yet, you will want to add a sump later. you will only need 1 pump, since the overflows run on gravity. the pump just returns the water to the tank.

Don't waste your money on a W/D filter. build a sump yourself (just a 20gal tank is fine) and put a skimmer in it. Look for DIY sump info here.

pumps draw relatively little power. they work fine on regular outlets. Lighting on the other hand can get out of hand. A standard circuit is 15 amps (usually), which is around 1500 watts. If you have 200 watts of pump, your nowhere near this. but if you want 1000 watts of light on top of it, you're going to have to be careful.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just read the article for the sump and it explains how it works but what im not shure about what it does. Does it filter the water? becuse the way i read it it just sounds like it is a way to move the water into it with syphon and then pump it back into the system with a pump. Where does the filtration come in?

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else want to add some more opinions?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You can use prefilter sponges in your overflows if you wish. You'll want to clean them often to keep them from becoming bioactive and starting to crank out nitates though. Your LR will be your biological filter. Depending on what you intend to keep in the tank, you can have a cleanup crew consisting of various shrimp/snails/crabs to handle waste material such as excrement and uneaten food. The sump is basically a place to house equipment such as a skimmer, heater, activated carbon, ect... It also adds some water volume to the system which helps with stability somewhat. Your surface overflows in the main tank will pull the top layer of water, which is where most of the nasty stuff will collect anyway, and feed it down to the skimmer. Build your sump and spend the money on a good skimmer. A good skimmer is worth every penny you spend on it. I would look at ASM, Euroreef, and Aqua C for starters.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
some people put extra LR or algae or a DSB in the sump/fuge.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A sump by itself does not filter your water. It is just extra water volume, water flow, and a place to put your ugly equipment that you don't want in your display tank. If you add addtional rock, a sandbed, algae etc, it becomes part of your filtration.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

So if i want to set up a 125 fowlr tank what would i need for filtration?

A sump,protien skimmer and pump only or do i need additional stuff for filtration?

If i am only using live rock for filtration how much would i need to be sufficient to filter a 125 gal ?

Also what is better about having the overflows built into the tank vs. a hang on prefilter? Isnt it the same thing?

Im finding some pretty good deals on ebay for wet/dry setups with pumps and protien skimmers included and when i researched building my own sump the price after buying a good skimmer and pump it comes out the same or even more than just buying a complete wet/dry setup.

Is there any reason a sump setup is better than wet/dry?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just added more to above reply ^ ^ if anyone knows the answers to those questions i should be ready to start getting what i need.

Tags
filtration, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com