Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Questions about my cycle

Ok, so check this out. I have 6 damsels and 35lbs of LR. My tank has been running for a week (around 80F, 1.022 SG, i dont remember what my PH is off the top of my head) and I am getting strange chemical readings. I have been testing every other day since I completely filled the tank. My inital readings was 0ppm for everything. As the week has progressed, my Ammonia and Nitrites have stayed at 0ppm and my Nitrates have risen to 5ppm. I also have a nice layer of brown algae (which appeared over night). Any Ideas or have I gone retarded?

Aqualis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
How are you testing(strips or liquids)? What brand of tests are you using? Was the LR cured before adding to the tank or is it very fresh rock?

Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit (liquids). And the LFS guy said the rock was cured. I'm just a little befuddled about this. It seems like I am going completely opposited what is supposed to happen
Aqualis is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com