Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Questions about new tank

I just go my 65 gallon with overflow and sump,

My question is should I fill it up with RO/DI or use tap and treat it with phosphate removers and others filters

For anyone who lives near home depot they have a flotec pump that can be used in ponds, will that work as a return pump for saltwater

Another question is I am thinking about combining my two saltwater tanks, I have two problems one is that I have a mean damsel that I have grow a little fond of, what are the odds he will lighten up in the bigger tank with two clowns and a royal gamma, another is one piece of live rock is covered with aptisia, will just letting that rock dry out kill all hope of the aptisia returning from that rock

thanks for the advice

cd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
If you can fill it up with ro\di that would be much better than starting off on the wrong foot and trying to correct no3/po4 levels later.

What is your overflow rated at for gph? The cheapest Flotec pump I see is $99 and does 1200 gph. Which one are you looking at? Any pond filter would work but it’s kind of pointless to get a high flow one if your overflow can’t handle it. Most just use Mag Pond Pumps.

You could let the lr with aptisia dry out which should kill it but there are other solutions if you want to keep anything else on the rock. You could also try hitting it directly with boiling water, a vinegar solution, or a small hypodermic needle and syringe filled with lemon juice.

Your mean damsel will probably always be mean even if in a 100+ gal tank. If your that fond of him then keep him or give him to a friend or relative so you can visit on weekends :P

tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Definitely use RO/DI. Start out good and don't take shortcuts as they will come back to bite you later on.

I'm not too familiar with pond pumps. Maybe someone else will answer that.

About the damsel, the tank is big enough where the damsel can have its own space, but keep an eye out. To kill aptasia, letting the rock dry would work but you would kill all the bacteria on it. Another way is to inject hot water at the aptasia.
aznbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
RO/DI is the way to go, and if you get a unit for it, works great in cooking and drinking water too

Damsels are cool looking....but each and every one of em has a little bit of the devil in their deceptively cute little carcasses.

As far as the pump goes, you can give it a shot as long as it won't add anything to the water.. As tecwzrd said, you don't wanna exceed your overflow or you'll potentially have a mess on your hands... you could use the pump with a ball valve to tone down it's output rate till you get it 'just right', but that might over-reduce the pumps effectiveness (I think I read somewheres that the ball valve even open full still reduces the flow regardless...humm...).

If the aiptasia are small (and the tank is cycled) you might have luck with a few peppermint shrimp. I read they like to eat the smaller aiptasias..might make for some healthy happy scrumps.

I use a mag 9.5 which is about the same cost (online anyhow) that works very well with my 800gph rated overflow.
Feron is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com