I've decided on a 60x24x24 for a reef, and the best place to locate it will be in front of a half wall with an open arch above it. The potential problems (or advantages?) with this location include:
1. viewable on three sides, therefore obviating a dark background
2. exposure to some indirect sunlight from both front and back
3. space limitations regarding sump/refugium and other supporting equipment
1. Does three side viewability (and lack of a dark background) reduce the visual contrasts and beauty of a reef to a significant degree?
2. Is pleasing aquascaping in this sort of configuration possible at 24" depth?
3. Does a few hours of indirect sunlight in a.m. and p.m. cause a problem with unwanted algae?
4. Does the storage of my "supporting equipment" under the display (within the stand) pose a problem?
I'd appreciate the input of all of you creative aquarists out there ... TIA