Questions about new tank positioning and aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mojo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've decided on a 60x24x24 for a reef, and the best place to locate it will be in front of a half wall with an open arch above it. The potential problems (or advantages?) with this location include:

1. viewable on three sides, therefore obviating a dark background
2. exposure to some indirect sunlight from both front and back
3. space limitations regarding sump/refugium and other supporting equipment

Questions:
1. Does three side viewability (and lack of a dark background) reduce the visual contrasts and beauty of a reef to a significant degree?
2. Is pleasing aquascaping in this sort of configuration possible at 24" depth?
3. Does a few hours of indirect sunlight in a.m. and p.m. cause a problem with unwanted algae?
4. Does the storage of my "supporting equipment" under the display (within the stand) pose a problem?

I'd appreciate the input of all of you creative aquarists out there ... TIA

I have the same size tank and mine is viewable from 2 sides. I stacked about 150lbs of LR down the middle of the tank so that fish could swim on both sides.
I dont think it takes away the beauty I'm trying to achieve. There is a couple of pics in my gallery.

The indirect sunlight might cause a problem in the beginning, you'll have to monitor that

Thanks GrndHog, nice gallery too.

A wise Advisor once told me "... be sure to get several opinions from several different people." ... anyone else have any advise?

mojo said:
1. Does three side viewability (and lack of a dark background) reduce the visual contrasts and beauty of a reef to a significant degree?
IMO, no. As grndhog stated, some good aquascaping down the mid-line of the tank with some good through holes for the fish to swim thrugh and for you to look through I think will make for a pleasent scene.
2. Is pleasing aquascaping in this sort of configuration possible at 24" depth?
IMO, yes. See above.
3. Does a few hours of indirect sunlight in a.m. and p.m. cause a problem with unwanted algae?
I would agree with grndhog, in the begining it may as the tank levels out its algae issues that 90% of new tank go through. But eventually, your tank should hopefully be devoid of the nutrients the algae needs to grow so no amount of "bad light" will spawn algae.
4. Does the storage of my "supporting equipment" under the display (within the stand) pose a problem?
Many aquarists hide their supporting equip under their stand and the only "problem" is the limited space under the stand. But again, these are things many deal with and overcome easily.

Back
Top Bottom