Questions about: placement of LR for reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Most of the smaller tanks I've looked at have the LR stacked in the middle of the tank. Is there a reason for this or is it okay to have most of my LR arrayed across the back of the tank? Maybe the tanks I'm seeing are just flukes and they aren't all like this.

You can put it however you want. Most people stack it higher in the middle because it has the best light and you can put SPS up there. Thats why I did it anyway.

index.php

Thank you. Finally found a decent setting on my phone that shows good color.

People try and keep it in the middle so they can clean the glass basically u can stack it how ever u want but u wanna try and keep it open as possible to keep flow going thru everywhere

Ah that makes sense. I've pretty much decided on building up a wall on the back of my tank, so I can more easily make little nooks and crannies. Thanks for the input. I guess the only thing I worry about is the build up of crud behind the wall. I was planning on using a single powerhead but might get another and point it behind the wall to flush everything out.

I want to build a wall as well but I am worried putty won't hold it up. Any other suggestions ?

Check out this scape in my 40 gallon

Attachments

• image-844908702.jpg
    image-844908702.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3306313644.jpg
    image-3306313644.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 68
You can put it however you want. Most people stack it higher in the middle because it has the best light and you can put SPS up there. Thats why I did it anyway.

index.php

BTW, CRAZY PRETTY TANK. It looks like many of the corals are recent additions, how old is your setup?

My buddy put a power head at the bottom back of his wall that shoots right across unobstructed into a rock that I glued to the wall but it provides good flow thru the back so nothing settles works good so far been running about a year just built a lot of rocks around the intake of the power head so it wouldn't clog

I'm using D-D AquaScape construction epoxy (in the blue box) and so far it seems to work quite well. Cures to be very hard, I had to use more than I expected but it's working. I'm going to go get more as I picked up more LR today to fill out the wall some more.

It is easy to see in these videos:

Saltwater 29g Step 1 Clear Water - YouTube

Saltwater 29g Step 1 - YouTube

Lol are those your videos ? - I had to laugh when I heard "Big Bang Theory" playing on the TV in the background.

This is one of my aquascapes designs and as you can see its stacked high. I am thinking that I may need to drill holes for some for connector rods with putty for stabilty.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 83
Ah that makes sense. I've pretty much decided on building up a wall on the back of my tank, so I can more easily make little nooks and crannies. Thanks for the input. I guess the only thing I worry about is the build up of crud behind the wall. I was planning on using a single powerhead but might get another and point it behind the wall to flush everything out.

Mine is all against the back glass it slopes up from the bottom to top like a hill.

Also yes its only 6 months old so alot of them are frags from friends tanks. Thanks for the compliments. :)

21ovq75.jpg

Check out this scape in my 40 gallon

Thats cool! I had a scape similar to this when I first setup my tank until I realized I wanted more corals and nowhere to put them haha.

When I first set it up... ALOT has changed haha.

2ed59bc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom