Questions about SG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ercfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A quick question about SG. I noticed that alot of the books I am reading recommend a SG in the range of 1.020 to 1.023, but have seen several times that people on this board will recommend a SG of around 1.025. Was wondering why this is? TIA

I think the reason alot of ppl run it high is there is less chance for diseases and parasites. Same with running the temp at 82-82f That is from what i have discovered.. Please correct me if I am incorrect anyone.. Most run SG at 1.023 @ 80 - 82F

James

Im not sure if the absence of diseases and stuff is a primary reason because there is less chance of certain diseases and stuff at lower SG as well. So i think the argument could be made both ways. I think it might be personal preference since the book gives that range. As Cj said....most in here keep between .023 and .025. I too could be very wrong here too, but im sure you will get an exact answer from someone shortly :wink:

I keep my tank at 1.025 at 80-82 F, because that is the average temp and SG of a natural reef. The lessened stress of being at natural reef temps and salinities is much more beneficial (IMO) than the slight advantage a lower SG has towards parasitic infestation. Lowered SG, to my knowledge, has no effect on disease, only parasites, and heightend SG has no effect on either.

Back
Top Bottom