Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Questions about SW set-up and what to buy

We've had several FW aquariums...now we're finally and slowly getting things together for our SW, reef with a few fish. We have a 55 gal. with stand. I am wondering about what is considered 'good, better, and best' when it comes to the protein skimmer, canister system and power heads. Also, what are the price ranges of each? I'm not wanting to be 'taken' by the next sales clerk at Feeder's Supply!

Free shipping on first order
Mrsfuller2572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Protein skimmer: AquaC Remora Pro (if you're sumpless), or ASM G2 or G3

Canister: use live rock, forget the canister filter

Powerheads: Maxijet 1200s. They last forever. If you're looking for a bit more flow, use Seio M620s

55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I completly agree with theatrus i have a 55 reef tank with a remora c protien skimmer its top notch.. runs about 170 dollars, you don't need a canister filter or anything like that if you get a good amout of liverock i would say anywhere from 50+lbs of it, it acts as a good biological filter keeping ammonia and nitrites very low, you also want a deep sand bed to help... do not get an undergravel filter like freshwater tanks use. Also i have 2 maxijet 1200's on my tank for circulation that cost me 40 dollars, and i have a 240 watt powercompact odyssea light for the corals which cost about $140. A reef setup is very expensive, vs fish only with some liverock.
29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I definitely agree with live Rock. It will be your best investment.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not wanting to be 'taken' by the next sales clerk at Feeder's Supply!
If you have been taken once by your local LFS, chances are you will be taken again. Places like this are your best friend when it comes to advice. You'll get much more information here, which you should still sift through, but they are all personal experiences NOT in it for any gain, except to see your set-up sucessful.

As for the set-up- Yes the basics are a tank and stand. Protein skimmers are a great addition, I use an AquaC as well. (actually I run two HOB skimmers). The LR is also a very important factor and can also be one of the most costly of intial expenses, but worth it's weight in gold. Make sure you get good quality LR, if you haven't done so already. As far as the powerheads and flow goes, it really all depends on what it is you want to keep in the tank. Most fish and soft corals will be fine with a moderate flow, but some species of fish/coral require a much higher rate of flow(tangs for instance). I have 2 Sieo M1500's running and that in conjuction w/ the flow from the skimmers I max out at around 3,500 gph.
No canister filter either, as said before the LR will do that job for you. Good luck and c'mon, let's see some pics...
chineseknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com