Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It sure is! I keep both FW and SW, though more SW these days lol.

You can always get the upgraded biocube with the metal halide light but I think they are about $400. And theres also nano cubes as well to look into.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you mean by the nano cubes?? The smaller biocubes or is that another brand?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon
What do you mean by the nano cubes?? The smaller biocubes or is that another brand?
Nano cubes are another brand. Honestly, if you had the money, I would get a red sea max. It's another all in one tank, but it's higher quality, but also more expensive.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

In what way is it higher quality?
And does anyone else share this opinion?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

The construction is of higher quality. I have the 14g biocube and the lid doesn't close properly, so I've had to remove the hinges or else light would escape from a little crack. Also, the fans for my light are stuck or something because when I turn on the lights, a LOUD noise starts, and I have to hit the lid once or twice for it to stop.

Also the red sea max has switches for all of it's functions, like the filter, moonlights, and both it's lights. I've had time to play around with one and I wish I would've gone with one of those, instead of the biocube. Just my opinion though.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It also uses t5ho bulbs as well, instead of the biocubes power compacts.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm. I will have to see what's at my fish stores and compare
Old 08-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The red sea max has individual switches for each component. They are nice looking and well put together. But they cost a lot more. They do have t5s but they are t5 compact flourecent. T5 stands for the diameter of bulb. The red sea max lights can only be replaced with red sea max bulbs. But you have the same limits as the biocube But you can grow alot with stock lights. I have a biocibe 29 and am very happy with it. I would recommend it. But I always wanted a red sea max too.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The red sea is a great setup, but like 4 times the amount of a biocube one. My fan also sometimes makes that noise but a slight knock on it and it goes away. I have no issues with the lid fitting though, mine is a perfect clean fit.

I didnt get the nano cube one because the stand was all crazy like and I use the biocube stand and it stores ALOT of gear.

My first recommendation would be for the cube hqi, if thats too much then a regular cube. The red sea is also tops on my list but too expensive for my blood. lol
Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many lbs of live rock do I need in a 30?

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com